Won't start no fuel getting to the engine

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumaspeed

Hi, my puma wont start after I turned it off. I had started 3 times already today before the problem and then it all of a sudden just wont start. A breif background on the problems I've been having is loss of power randomly for about 6 months. It would take forever to get to 3000rpm then pull again or just run lumpy. However it would be fine other times. It happened when the engine was hot or cold and any weather. I've changed the leads, plugs, coil pack, maf and Still the same problem . It has cut out a few times when going slow with the clutch down all the way recently and won't take a while to start or need my foot on the accelerater to persuade it. Anyway now it won't start at all. The engines turning over the battery's fine I tried bumping it and still didn't work. I managed to get it start for a second then it just ran lumpy and died straight away, the throttle didn't make any difference at all. I decided to take of the red and white fuel hoses that connect to the engine and I turned the ignition and no fuel came out of either of them. The fuel pump still buzzes when I turn the key so I'm baffled ? Is a fuel pump? Any help will be much appreciated as I need the car running ASAP for work .
Cheers

You could have just checked if there was fuel pressure by releasing the valve on the fuel rail, (a bit like a tyre valve).
The symptoms prior to all this could be a knackered CAT or a vacuum leak somewhere. Sorry I cant be of much help other than that. Hope someone else might be able to point you in another direction.

I know but I wanted to see if the fuel was coming into the engine from that side to try and rule out the injector rail. Also i fitted a 4-2-1 manifold with decat so it can't be the cat. As for vacuum leak I've tried checking and can't find anything, it has a k and n cone induction kit if that would make any difference.

No it happened before that but originally I thought the problems were to do with a sticky calliper. I took to the garage and they looked at the brakes and both callipers were seizing on and had rusted were the rubber seals had broken and let water in. So I changed all the brakes to new brembo 260mm discs and pads and I recondition some 260mm puma callipers and fitted them but still had the same problems. So that ruled out the sticky calliper however it did drive better than before as it did have sticky callipers but they didn't fix it so could this have caused the problems I have?

One other thing that would cause you to run poorly/ lumpy would be a fault with the lambda sensor.

Change fuel filter,or to rule out the fuel pump,disconnect a pipe of the fuel filter,get a large bowl to catch fuel,then get some1 to turn on ignition and see if fuel comes out at a good flow rate

are you able to get your compression checked?
have you ruled out starter motor yet?

Martin beat me to it. Check fuel before fuel filter, no fuel equals knackered fuel pump or blockage from. If fuel comes out then check fuel on outlet of fuel filter, no fuel equals knackered fuel filter so replace. These are the first things I would have checked after checking for fuel at the shrader valve (fuel rail point as trueblue stated).

Once those points are ruled out you can then start looking at the stuff you already did and the other ones mentioned above :lol:

Cheers guys, I decided to change fuel pump and filter today. Paid 40 for a pump of the shelf fitted it with a m8 and didn't fix the problem. There's no buzzing coming from the fuel pump when I turn the ignition still but the fuel gauge is registering as having fuel in it so does that rule out power cable? Also we tested the old pump on the battery and it works still so feel like I wasted my money. It's so frustrating now. Any ideas?

Forgot to mention I've checked the fuses and relays and there all fine. I know when the fuel pump went on my old puma the 10a fuse kept blowing before it failed completely but this time no blown fuses at all. I think starter motors ok as the engine turns over just won't start. I checked the shrewder valve earlier and nothing came out.

Latest posts

Back