new zetec s wheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkie

i have my heart set on the new zetec s wheels for my car but i know the offset is about 47 i think. now i always get confused with offset figures. if the number is less does that mean the wheel is closer to the hub and the bigger the offset the further away form the hub/closer the the outer arch the wheel sits.

i am just thinking that if this is the case and the wheels are 47 offset which wil not go on the puma could i not get them machined down to 35-38 so they fit nice and snug?

or is this totally not advisable.

i know no one has these on a puma yet that i have seen and i would like to be the first but i donw want to be driving a dangerous car. most will be happy to know they are staying the standard colour and the red wheels will be gone and car going back to standard ish bodystyling with minor adjustments.

yes, axle spacers ideally on the rear, and anything bigger then 3mm on the front will requite hubcentric spacers which will also require new wheel breaings as you will wreck the existing ones splitting the hub to fit the hubcentric spacers

Here you go clarkie, this will show you the difference. The width of the rim, i.e. 6", 7" etc also make a difference.
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Put the standard 6" rim in both "Width" boxes and enter 34mm in the first "Offset" box and 47mm in the second, press "Calculate" to see the difference.
Now change the second 6" to 7" and press "Calculate" to see the change to the clearances.

says 13mm less inner clearance and to retract by 13mm. on the 6x6 setting

then it says 26mm less inner clearance but the outer posistion is the same.

i still dont get what that means tho.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The offset is the distance between the back of the wheel that sits on the hub, and the centre line of it.

A bigger offset means that the back will be nearer to the outside of the wheel, meaning that the whole of the wheel will sit further in over the axle.

So a smaller offset means that the back will be further away from the outside, and the wheel will sit further out on the axle.

:eek:k:

clarkie said:
says 13mm less inner clearance and to retract by 13mm. on the 6x6 setting

then it says 26mm less inner clearance but the outer posistion is the same.

i still dont get what that means tho.

By less inner clearance, it means that the inner edge of the wheel is 13mm further in than the standard fitment wheels that you've supplied the details of.

The extra 1" rim width (7" instead of 6") adds ½" (1" divided by 2) to both the inside and outside offsets, so the inner rim will intrude a further ½" towards the inside wheel arch and the outer rim a further ½" towards the outside wheel arch.

½" equals roughly 13mm, so the 13mm less inner clearance of the 6" rim gets another 13mm added to it, hence 26mm less.
The outside -13mm gets 13mm added to it, so the outer rim returns to the original position.

Depending on how much you are looking to space the fronts you can use these;

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.jsp?productID=866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just bolt on so no messing around with new studs and broken wheel bearings.

I just ordered some from SCC performance!

am i being really thick here by not seeing how those work?

my understanding is they bolt onto your existing studs then your wheels bolt onto the new studs.

however surely the existing studs will be too long and protrude out the surface of the spacer

I’m not 100% sure mate!

That’s what I was told by PumaSpeed, although I must say it looks more like 5 mm I have on the back of my wheels.

Even if you have to take a little off the existing studs its still a much easier route than splitting the hubs and fitting longer studs. I will let you know how they fit, should be here Thursday.

i emailed pumaspeed asking the question earlier, got no reply as yet :(

saying that there asking price of £30 to fit these would suggest they are either charging an absolute rip off price to fit them or they actually arent as easy as directly bolting them on

I think its the the first!

Just spoken to Pumaspeed and they say they have fitted loads to pumas and any decent wheels have a recess at the back to take the small overshoot of the stud. Fingers crossed anyway!

I think it was Tony McQuire I spoke to.

to be fair if i was fitting those i would want flush fitted bolts not ones that stick out. im sure there must be some kind if fitting kit included and my wheels are team dynamics and im pretty sure they dont have those holes in the back but im not sure about the new zs ones.

as my wheels were off i took the liberty of measuring my studs, they are 28/29mm, thats 13mm at least of "extra" poking out, i then measured the recess on my "decent" ford wheels and its about 6mm.

i think PS might be talking out there arse, id like to be proven wrong though as im interested in these spacers

Latest posts

Back