car shaking and intermitent start

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mario7jorge

Hi.
I have a 1,6 Ford Puma, year 2001.
Since one year ago, the engine starting became intermitent. Sometimes after rotating the ignition key, the pre ignition noise is not heard and the green air condtioning lamp lights on, even without previous ac activation (!). Only after several tries, (which can be 5 or 50), the engine fires again. Please note when this fault occurs, (allways) no pre ignition noive is heard and the ac lights fits on, - (however the ac button was not pressed, and the ac cannot be started during the fault). I contacted the local Ford representatives twice and after a long study, the ignition switch was renewd with good results during about 3 months, however, now the same problem happens again. I do not know what to do next.

On top of this, one month ago, I noted that the car is shaking at a speed starting about 62 mph, when accelerating (only).
Can anyone suggest me any idea about what is happening in both cases ?
Thanks in advance
Mario Jorge.

[ref]tuonokid[/ref],
Hi tuonokid
The car has been checked at diagnostic scanner several times at the local Ford representative without relevant results. The main problem is that the electrical fault is difficult to happen, once the problem occurs randomly: this means that the car can be fine one week, or one month, however, suddenly the engine only fires with several attemps (5 up to 50). After engine starting, everithing is ok ( on electrical side ). The main mistery for me is why the ac light is on when the problem pops up. However, note that the ac system is totally inoperative and is impossible to activate it during the problem. I suspect the condition of cabling insulation from the battery / engine starting motor; however, the reports received from the workshop are not confirming this suspicion.
Tomorrow I will try another workshop. Maybe i will be luckier this time.
Thank you for your good attention tuonokid, I will send you news as soon as I can
Mario Jorge

I suggest you remove all fuses relating to the AC and see how things are. I suspect an intermittent short somewhere.

well some time ago my battery died... same thing was going on... when i rotated to ignite... all lights went dim, shut, clock disappear, clicking noise... no turning over... when i released the key back to position 2, lights back, clock back but recirculation light and AC light on :)) new battery went on ;)

check for alternator... if you crank up the engine and is idling... try being somwhere dark... look at the battery warning light... if it's a little dim... your alternator went away or at least the diodes... and change it or will kill your battery.

for shaking... sometimes, when i accelerate... under normal fine acceleration all is fine... when i go in full Schumaher mode on 6 redbull packs, it does vibrates but as soon as i got over 70-80km/h it just stabilize and all goes fine :) pushed the little guy to 170km/h just to see how it feels :) lovely, and no tremble, vibration etc :)

The shaking when you accelerate could be a bad bearing on the centre drive shaft or a bad CV joint.

About that problem of not starting and the AC light on, check the fuse box on the engine bay and search for the Engine management fuse, if blown replace it and uplug your VSS Sensor on the gearbox. If the car turn on, replace your VSS.

My girlfriends puma had a similar problem, all lights on the cluster fine, making no noise from the fuel pump and wont start for nothing, the engine not even rotate and the AC light was on. I also saw the engine management fuse blow. The cause was the VSS Sensor circuited.

Back