1.7 head removal

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean20

Hi all im new here and i bought a ford puma a few weeks back to do a engine conversion on my mk5 fiesta. I bought the car running and the engine was fine with 116000.

I removed the engine fully cleaned and painted it and for piece of minde i wanted to change the timing belt,water pump and cam cover gasket.
As i was told that the timing can be a pain to do on these regarding the VCT i had a mechanic (friend of a friend) to do the cam belt for me before the engine went back in ( he only charged me £35)

Now iv got the engine fully fitted into the fiesta and it started straight away and as soon as i gave it a little rev sounded like the belt slipped and cut out and from then wont start and no compression so it looks like the timing was out and bent a few valves.

Iv got two spare heads that i can get my hands on so im looking at changing the head my self and then getting a mechanic who knows these engines to do the timing for me.

Is there a guide on changing the heads?
and is there anything specific i need to do as i dont want to just jump im and rush it id rather take my time.

thanks

There is no guide that I'm aware of. Bit if you know a little about working on cara, it's not to hard, all things considers, it's no to much work.
But, there are some things to consider.

You need the tools to set the timing right, (cam locking tool, and crank locking tool)
You need a torque wrench to set the head bolts right (and assorted other bolts)
New head gasket and assorted gaskets, new head bolts
Then it's just a case of being careful, and remembering where everything goes :)

There is a timing belt guide on here, if you just search.

do i need to lock the timing before i strip the original head thats on there now? iv got FRP cams fitted and iv got the locking tool for them but not the pins for the crank.

iv got a torque wrench and will be getting new gaskets and bolts ect.

i would prefere a mechanic to do the timing if its possible for me to change the heads but maybe il have a look at that guide

i think so the bar came with the FRP cams and stated as a rare locking bar, its got two groves cut into it that goes into the cams and a pin that locks it to the head

iv found a new head off a low mileage engine for £65 but i need to order it by tomorrow morning that means i need to get my head off to to make suer it is that, so will it be okay for me to just take the head off or do i need to lock the crank first?

no you don't need to lock the crank... you'll have to re-time the engine anyway...

don't cut corners or you'll be doing it all over again :wink: ...

you'll need new bolts and gasket etc.... ideally skim the head too and fit new valve stem seals then lap the valves in...

if you can't do all that you'd be better off fitting another 2nd hand unit already setup imo..

what do you mean bu fitting new valve stem seals? if i was to do that could i just replace the bent valves thats in the head that iv got now?

i was looking at changing the head myself and getting new gaskets and bolts but i havnt got the tools to do the valve stem seals and dont know how to do them

ive done this job and its not to bad i brought a clarke valve spring compressor and to lap the valves you need this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEMICO-V...UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item256d1183c2

take note of the cams before you remove them make sure they stay the right way up

also remember not to pull the 5mm pin all the way out the tensioner before tightening the bolts to hold the kick back arm in place.

by reading a few guieds on here and other sites it dont seam to hard to do aslong as you got the right tools and take your time.

Am i better off taking the engine back out if im going to do it all myself?

the only thing thats worrying me is the VCT pully, and worst thing is the unit where the garage is i get no internet signal incase i need to get on here

print as much info off as you can there's a gates timing belt guide online which is pretty good if you google it it should come up,where are you based? there mite be someone on here near you that can help

il have a look for that guide thanks. im in Pontypridd in south Wales the car is in Aberdare

The minimum you'd get the gasket set and head bolts for is about £120, that's without any other issues you might find along the way.

It's often cheaper to just start again with another engine

It's an easy job to do the valves though if you have the tools

Back