Advice re previous MOT advisories... next test coming up

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67911121km

Hoping there's someone out there who may have some insider knowledge on this.

My MOT is due end of this month, I have three advisories on my previous MOT - corroded rear brake pipes, excess movement at rear upper strut mounts and some rust to the chassis.

If I leave these "repairs" for the time being and put my car in for an MOT, are they likely to fail me because I've effectively ignored these advisories or will they be reassessed for how worse they have become over the past 12 months (as though they never came up previously)?

No point putting the car through yet if it's likely to fail.

Thanks

They should test it on it's current state. Whether they do or not is a different matter but to be fair, things like brakes are always worth fixing on safety grounds providing they do actually need doing!

The Arch Bishop said:
They should test it on it's current state. Whether they do or not is a different matter but to be fair, things like brakes are always worth fixing on safety grounds providing they do actually need doing!

Passed the MOT today, those three previous advisories didn't show this time. Unfortunately, they did give me one new advisory (Offside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated) which is going to be easy enough to sort out.

Interesting that the previous "advisories" did not show up, especially the rust/corrosion, show just how variable the actual test really is and that some testers do look at things differently even though in theory the test should be standardised and carried out the same way by each tester.

Well done on the pass though I agree with above comments, never good to ignore brake advisories.

zinc2000 said:
show just how variable the actual test really is and that some testers do look at things differently even though in theory the test should be standardised and carried out the same way by each tester.
I totally agree with that!

I had an MOT and the only had 4 advisories were each of the 4 flexible brake hoses were showing signs of wear.
Just had an MOT done, and the car is, 11 months later, now fit for the scrapyard... with no mention of the previous years 'signs of wear'.

How do you figure that out...!?

Same thing happened with my Puma!
3 years ago, 3 out of 4 break pipes were on the advisory as being corroded.
2 years ago, 2 were
1 year ago, you've guessed it - only one was!
And this year - none!
Magic little Puma fix themselves ;)

Dumb arse who did my MOT this time put comments in the advisory box saying that he couldn't inspect the engine because of the engine and sump cover/guards. I told him to take them off as it was not an advisory as it had nothing to do whatsoever with the roadworthiness of the car but cosmetic/safety additions.

Dumb arse, yeah, was worth saying twice.....actually, thrice......Dumb arse!!!

Won't be using him again but will make sure I book in time at the council depot as the guy who did my Puma for 4 years was consistent every time.

They're not allowed to take anything off though Yip, my old ST TDCI Mondy got an advisory every year for 'Unable to check condition of sills due to body kit fitted'

Latest posts

Back