Air Induction Kits and Exhausts

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowcol

Hi. Looking to release a bit more power from my 1.7. Limited budget and skills so thinking I will start with an air induction kit and a sports exhaust. I need to keep the Cat but what do you reckon to fitting a sports exhaust tube without middle silencer and sticking on a cherry bomb or other back box? I don't want excessively loud as our local track has a limit of 105Db at 4000rpm. Also need to get it through an MOT!

Anybody tried Hoffman
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-1-7-Hoffmann-Race-Exhaust-System-/351058012472?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51bcb02938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are on ebay at a good price but if they don't release power then no point I would be better spending more and going Miltek or some other well known make. They are a lot dearer though.

Air induction kits - Any body used Ram air? Again they seem well priced, about half the cost of K&N but are they any good?

Your thoughts on how to get the best out of the engine would be appreciated
Thanks again

I've used RAMAIR on all my Pumas... my opinion that's the one to go for.

'Race tube' or that hoffamn thing... what a pile of junk rubbish, that includes cherry bomb mufflers.
If you want more power, you use a proper exhaust system and not that stuff that's designed for cheap-ass boy-racers

Hi and Thanks for your advice - that is the sort of info I am looking for.
What would be the best bang for my buck in exhausts then? I will probably need to keep the standard cat as a sports cat will probably be out of my price range at the moment. Is it still worth spending the money to put a decent exhaust on the car ? Any idea what uplift in HP a ramair filter and a decent exhaust from the Cat back should give me.

All the best and thanks again

When it comes to full systems exhausts, in your original post, I reckon you nailed it on the head with the Milltek. That's the one I would certainly recommend.

Now performance enhancements compliment each other, the more you have the more they work well together. a RamAir filter alone, is not the whole 5-8bhp they claim, its more like 2bhp. equally a full Milltek will only be about 8-9bhp.
If you slowly get other things to compliment them, ecu flashing and cams are the most common ones, then those individual gains you will find would increase by 1-2bhp.

Latest posts

Back