Cotswold Meet, 3 May 2008 :-)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOK

Inspired by 2 real hens I spotted on the window sill of a pub I was driving past, I've put together a meet for Saturday 3 May 2008.
2hens.jpg

2hens2.jpg

It's a leisurely drive through the beauty of the Cotswolds, starting and ending in Oxfordshire. More gently feeding the steering wheel between the thumbs than yanking it around :p The drive is about 50 miles, taking in Warwickshire/Gloucestershire/Oxfordshire, some very fine sights and pretty villages. There is a stop for lunch at the Coach and Horses (the pub with the chickens) and a visit to the Cotswold Falconry Centre.
We will be passing through Enstone so you might spot even Jeremy Clarkson mowing his lawn :p

Meet point is Oxford Services (see map below) for about 12pm. We'll probably be parking in a quieter area of the car park. We will leave at about 1pm.

GOOGLE INTERACTIVE MAP WITH ROUTE AND STOPOVERS

As you can see it's a modest route to follow and will be almost all clearly signposted...

I'm guessing we should stop for lunch at the Coach and Horses for around 1:30-2pm.

After this is a further drive through the countryside, some further sights then back to Oxford Services for refreshments and for people to head off home.

Hope to see you all there, weather should be nice...

Attendees to date:

BOK (Colin)
Crystalpuma (Vix)
ZipIt (Rich)
Darren and Cherie
Midnight Blue (Pat)- Possible
Neil
Di -Hopefully!
Redman (Kevin)
leewarry
Emmsy
Magyrato
rellik666
BenF
rboteler
pumapilot (Pete and Flossie)- Possible

Yay! A Chicken based meet - I wondered when that might happen..:lol:

Looking forward to it :D

I have emailed the falconry centre to ask about how they get their birds and what they do with the ones they breed! Just to keep you in the know :D

Not to worry Vix, I've removed the falconry centre option.
Meet details updated.

For your information, this is the reply I got from the Falconry Centre:

Like yourself I'd much prefer to see animals in the wild than in cages but
unfortunately there isn't much true wild left and the ecology to sustain
animals, especially those at the top of the food chain i.e. birds of prey
is diminishing. I think it's important to conserve these magnificent birds in the hope that
one day the ecology will come back (an unlikely dream ) but the
alternative is of course extinction. We are still in the infancy of learning to breed birds of prey in captivity and we do swap the offspring with other zoos/conservation organisations for
genetic diversity. I hope you come, you may not like what you see but hopefully you will have a better understanding of birds of prey and how they live their lives.

So, in conclusion, they are neither pure evil nor perfection and you can all make your minds up from the information you have been given (I always think an educated decision is better!).

Personally I don't think I will go as I have severe reservations about the actual benefit to the species of such schemes (from information given as part of my biology degree) and certainly to the individual birds. I won't be thinking badly of anyone who wishes to go either (sorry if this sounds pompous - it isn't meant to!).

Clarkson doesn't actually live at Enstone btw.

There was some talk of them moving Top Gear stuff there now that the Rally School I used to work for is defunct, but I think the NIMBYs killed it.

Cherie said:
The route is -->here<-- in case you've missed it elsewhere. ;)

I did a reccy today, have simplified the route as I managed to get myself lost :?

Make sure you check the route just prior to leaving in case it has changed again :D

Just going to give floosie a quick wash.

Was a fab day - great weather, scenery and roads! Good to see everyone again and a couple of new faces. :D Cheers Col for the organisation - top job.

Can't wait for FITP now!

Great day!

The rain stayed away - a good drive around (after the initial jam) - good food - great company.

What else is there? 10/10.

Cheers Col!

:eek:k:

New Gallery Directory here:

http://www.projectpuma.com/album_cat.php?cat_id=41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back