FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The balance shaft is supposed to reduce engine vibration, i think it just makes the engine feel more revvy removing it, like a light weight flywheel. But I didn't mean the purpose of the balance shaft, I meant that if it has a balance shaft, it can't be a 2.0!! As Wild E Coyote says " there's no replacement for displacement"!

2.3 ranger bottom end YO!

And I have it on good authority that if I painted it gold, it will make an extra 25bhp!!

quest63 said:
Well yeah but its gotta be the right shade of gold :p

Yeah, i emailed the paint company, and said im after the fastest gold they have. They said there are some golds that actually loose you power, so i paid extra for this one! :lol: Good job i have contacts in the industry! :cool:

Hows the beard coming along Quest?? :lol:

awesome project! Out of curiosity, what thread are the bolts? 75 lb/ft is way over the top unless they're 7/16 unf?

warrenpenalver said:
No replacement for displacement!!

Will make it much much nicer to drive especially off boost and for normal day to day stuff.
Yeah I hope so mate

turbo zetec said:
awesome project! Out of curiosity, what thread are the bolts? 75 lb/ft is way over the top unless they're 7/16 unf?

You are 100% on the money, the 75ft lbs was for a 7/16 thread, however my bolts are a 3/8 thread so need to be about 40-45ft/lbs. it's a good job that bolt stretched as much as it did or I'd have been driving a ticking time bomb with the bolts torque to nearly double! I know bolts are suppose to be around 40, but as the leaflet stated 75, I thought perhaps the bolts or rods were some new compound or something! But 75 is high considering head bolts are only 60 lol.

moondustka said:
This is so cool man :cool: This certainly going to bigger and better as planned! :twisted:

Thanks mate, i had the engine & most the parts from before the accident, so it made sense to put it in now, I just needed a crank

Hi again. Sorry ive not updated in a while, time has been a little scarce!

Anyhow, my car was delivered back to my house a few weeks back. Im VERY pleased with the job they have done on it, the paint is a LOT more vibrant then before, and best of all, the car is straight now!! Ive not got any pics yet as i dont yet have the front bumper, but i will upload some pics when its all back together.

ok so first job was to heat protect the bulkhead, its sooo much easier to do with the engine out!

You may notice the servo is a little bigger then standard. I decided to try a bigger one, as i feel the puma brakes arent as responsive as more modern cars. The actual braking is as good or better then modern cars, but it takes more effort! So im hoping with the bigger servo, i should get more braking assistance, and so should modernise the braking system a little.

Next up, i was worrying weather the oil system in the engine was up to the job. The engine is now slightly bigger, it has oil pressure operated VCT, it has an oil cooler, and there is an oil feed to the turbo. So i devised a plan to overdrive my oil pump. I found a direct replacement crank sprocket with more teeth on to drive the oil pump. the standard sprocket has 19 teeth, & rotates the oil pump at 79% of the crank speed. I found a crank pulley from a ford mercury with 25 teeth on it, which should rotate the oil pump at 104% of the crank speed so around a 25% increase in flow, or a slight increase in oil pressure. And i have the cam pulleys to match.

Standard pulley on the right, over drive pulleys on the left.

standard set up

New set up

Both pumps have 24 teeth

Then i cleaned the engine up and painted som bits, the cam cover is going to have a custom cover on again like the carbon one i had on the 2.0.

So now the engine is ready to drop in! Its getting closer to being back on the rd!!! A big thanks again to all those who have helped me get it to this stage!

Thanks a lot guys, it seems to have taken forever to get to this stage but hopefully a little momentum in the next few weeks should see it on the rd!

I have to admit, though, that the back scenery of your (in garage taken) pictures never ceases to amaze me :D :p

Sometimes I get the feeling there you have the spares to build at least one car and two engines :p

Back