FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We call them gypo's because Irish Gypsies were first known to do it here. But most the people who do it now aren't gypsies anymore, I don't even know why we still call them that!

But it's so annoying because they just walk onto your property and take stuff if they see it, I don't know how this has become acceptable! They would have perhaps got 50p max for that part for scrap value, if they knocked the door and asked if they could have it, I would have given them £1 for letting me know I'd left it out! Now it's cost me £10 to buy a new one, plus having to travel and time to collect, plus time to cut and weld it and welding wire, and then painting it or Powdercoating and finding time to do that.

There seems to be a few different types round my way,there's the ones that have horse and carts and the gypsies wagons,then there's the ones with the brand new caravans trucks,then there's the ones with the old buses coaches caravans,the ones with the horse and carts don't seem to be a problem and will ask if you have any metal,the ones with the old buses coaches caravans aren't all Irish and seem to be more like hippies and deal in drugs more,the ones with the brand new caravans and trucks are the worst they do all the driveways ground works garden clearances,stealing,coning people,then all the rubbish they have been paid to remove they dump in fields next to where there sited,then they move on to the next town,i try to keep my garage door down as much as i can as they come by all the time looking in :x

Engines looking sweet mate will have to pop up soon

I like to call them "Caravan Utilizing Nomadic TravelerS", there is a short version of that and I'll let you work it out for yourselves lol :)

Sparx said:
Wild E. Coyote said:
Irish Gypsies. Sounds surreal! :lol:

Have you never seen the movie Snatch??

Nope, sorry. It is just that…hmmm, how to put it? We (admit, not nice) generalise in calling a gypsie any conman or a person notorious for not sticking to his word. So Italians are also Digici (in italian digic is a gypsie), not to mention lot of our eastern nearer or not so near neighbours.
From that perspective Irish Gypsie sounds totally surreal!
Erroll, sorry, I destroyed your thread. I guess admin could and in my view should delete all these comments which are non related to the topic what so ever! :oops:

The correct term for gypsies who commit crime, camp illegally, dont pay taxes is PIKEYS!!!

Or pikey scum if you want to be harsh :twisted:

Of course i have no problem with people who are gypsies and choose the travelling lifestyle as long as they comply with the law in doing so, eg finding legitimate free campsites or paying to camp LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE, clearing up thier own rubbish - LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HAS TO, paying taxes LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HAS TO, obeying the law LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE HAS TO. etc etc

Although i wonder in reality how many travellers in this country are genuinely paying thier way and obeying all the laws...

Maybe its a bad minority giving the best a bad rep..... but that doesnt seem to be the experience of myself and most people i know who whenever travellers come to town or you have contact with them, its usually trouble.

Im sure someone will come along with some statistic that 50% of gypsies are obeying the law..... but is that just the 50% who stay in thier caravans, ie womenfolk whos only job is do look after the caravan due to sexist and backwards treatment of women in the travelling community.........

There are some staying on an industral estate not far from mine. At least the local plod is keeping an eye on them. I wouldn't trust gypsies as far as I can throw, which isn't far. :pinkeye:

Time for another update!!

Engine is all in!!

I also tried my hand at some hydro dipping, came out pretty good!

With the engine in and intercooler mounted, the intercooler outlet pointed straight at the sump, so some modifying needed to be done! This is how it was

This is how it is now with the modification

I tried welding it myself but there was a slight leak so i cut it out and got it welded properly :lol:

I fitted a lower strut brace, and its VERY tight in there, can barely get a fag paper between the sump plug and the strut brace!!

Next i made a custom aluminium intercooler pipe, its a strange shape but it had to be that way. I tacked it and got it welded properly.

It fits nicely in the cut out in the sump

Its all very snug but fits perfectly!! So im really not too far off now, im just waiting for my front bumper from pumabuild now and my coilovers back from Gaz after zinc coating.

Wow, top work mate
Is hydro dipping difficult it looks brilliant and i love the design you chose

Cant wait to see this go in person :)

The hydro dipping is easy if you know soak time ect, but whoever you buy film from should be able to tell you that. I messed my first sheet up, didn't soak for long enough and it just draped itself over the part with creases in and didn't go into the contours. The water heat can be offset with more or less activator too, so if the water goes slightly below temp, you can just use more activator, so it's fairly easy really.

Thanks, I'm quite pleased, I'm just itching to get it back on the rd now, feels like its been forever!

Thanks Dan, I'm considering starting her up today, just needs fluids and oil and hopefully should start up! But I don't really want to start the engine while it's on axle stands.

ArtfulHussy said:
That engine is rather.. Arousing. :shock:

Hope there will be a vid once it's going!
Thanks mate, there will definitely be some videos once i get it running!!

Another little mod i forgot to mention!

Only a little mod, but i was assured by the seller it would give me another 5-10bhp depending on other mods :cool:

Mmmmmm, I think I might be having a moment! :p Looks fantastic mate! :lol:

I've been looking into hydrodipping recently, spoke to a company about doing it! http://www.wickedcoatings.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it's bloody expensive! Didn't realise I could do it myself while having a bath! :lol:

That's the whole reason I did myself, I got a quote for fuse box top, air box top, PS cap, engine cover, and my Oxus radio surround, they wanted £300 :eek: to buy all the stuff even with messing the first sheet up, including base colours, primer, lacquer ect, cost me about £70. And I've not yet put a pic up of the engine cover I made, I'll put a pic on later but I'm well chuffed with that!!

Latest posts

Back