Helen's Red FRP

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e3silversurfer said:
maybe that why I am having loads of knocking noises coming when I am doing full lock left or right... getting sick of the knocking sounds...

Check to see if you have a steering rack limiter fitted. If not, your tyres will scrub on the wheel arches.

did a check in the arch and cant see any thing rubbing..... the knock sounds more like something being push and snapping back into place kind of knock....

hmmmm... might bring it down to pumaspeed to let Tony have a look.

CV joint.

Tend to fail if the rubber boot seal has torn and the grease has run out.

I think it is that too. got to do wheel alignment (veering to the right) as well as wheel balancing (vibrating steering)

wondering if the knock can be caused by the suspension arm and the stablizer bar.... but dont think so....

e3silversurfer said:
wondering if the knock can be caused by the suspension arm and the stablizer bar.... but dont think so....

You could check the anti roll bar links are not broken and there are rubber bushes in those links that can perish and cause excess movement and noise (they were like that on my Milly when I bought it).

You need to get the car on a ramp and get someone who knows what to look for to look at it before you buy bits and pieces that may not solve the problem...

If the car veers to the right that is a little unusual for alignment to be the cause, if the car pulls left/right on and off power then that is likely to be worn front wishbone bushes.

update on problems:

door hinge retaining pins falling out
4cm long crack on the driver's door... might need welding...
leaking engine oil (going to bring it to fords for a free visual health check)

all your bodywork is geniune frp; thats what i checked for! even the inner rear arch!!!! (altho its not attached brilliantly one one side; if it needs steering lock limiters i will know how big they are by this time 2mrw! & i will make some spares....

I think I will have to drive this down for your to play with :p only thing I am waiting now is sorting out my house... and then wait for my bonus to renovate the house, build the garage, conservetory, refurb the kitchen and toilets and build a front patio for my piano (oh and buy a piano) :p

sweet! forget the steering rack; plan b. sods have only gone and actually made a custom part for frp! im not finished yet tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like a big bonus; we still on for the bank job then....?!!!!

Right.... spent the sunday washing 2 pumas (yet again. weekly routine) and fixing the red frp.

removed the 2 front door cards to discover that the passenger side door had a smashed window sometime in its past (has bits and pieces of glass in the door itself) removed all glass shards and fragments (require use of a pair of tweezers and rubber gloves... look like a forensic from CSI investigation)

Second door was painted over using red paint and the original colour is???? Imperial Blue!?! hmmmm looks like I have another genuine FRP part (although the doors are all the same)

looking to purchase a dozen of window sills. these stupid things have got metallic "bone" structure in them and they rust underneath the rubber (idiotic design <_<)

Majority of the door clips have been damaged and the previous guys seem to like siliconing everything together <_<. removed most of the cracked clips and corresponding obsolete retaining plastic pin clips. also replaced the sponge in the wing mirrors with some fresh sponge (courtesy of HP, got the sponge from computer server backing/packing :p)

To complete the day, put the door cards with surviving door clips securing it in strategic areas, replaced a couple of missing screws for the sun visor. thicken parcel shelf's rubber arms to prevent it from falling out. Removed the peeling leather from the momo handbrake grip (which the previous owner installed). Had to leave it on there as nothing but bare metal underneath the MoMo handbrake grip... planning to spray it and design something ;).

Fitted newish lamp covers and adjusted the headlamp beam (benefits of having 2 cars :) can use one another for adjusting headlamps beams :p)

Finally..... drove it to the petrol station to fill up. No more rattling and shaking sounds :D peace and quiet.... except occasional pops and bangs from the exhaust.

things left to be done... check steering rack, gear/clutch and engine, and suspension maybe.....

Good work Elvin, nothing like getting rid of a few rattles!

Good to hear you putting it back together properly where you find parts that have been mashed together with sealant etc!

Keep us updated :D

Do you want this thread moving to the ProjectPuma section?

red said:
Good work Elvin, nothing like getting rid of a few rattles!

Good to hear you putting it back together properly where you find parts that have been mashed together with sealant etc!

Keep us updated :D

Do you want this thread moving to the ProjectPuma section?

Hmmmm you can move the entire thread as I think that keep things together in the thread.

Latest posts

Back