MOT issues - rear struts have slight movement...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67911121km

So, took my Puma in for an MOT in the week... failed!

Aside from twisted front brake hoses (which the garage sorted for free) is was down to rust, so I took the plunge and paid out £300 to sort that out. I got the car back yesterday with an MOT pass :grin: but there are still a few advisories which I would like to clear now having spent so much on the welding work. Four out of six are easily sorted - new n/s/f tyre due to damage, slightly corroded rear brake pipe, etc - but I have got the following and I would like some advice on sorting this...

003 Nearside rear Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment [2.5.A.1c]
003 Offside rear Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment [2.5.A.1c]

This might explain the rattling I have in the back on bumps (I recently replaced the rear bushes for some polys, the old ones were knackered but they weren't the cause of the noises).

Will this problem be solved by simply replacing the strut mountings - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-1-7i-16v-97-02-REAR-TOP-STRUT-Mounting-RH-FSM5120-/260982187718?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc3c026c6#ht_647wt_905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or is there more involved?

Many thanks for your help :grin:

It's not even macphereson strut on the back lol but yeah sounds like top mounts

In theory it is only one nut and one bolt each side plus you need to compress the spring to release the holding circlip. However the top nut is hard to do when holding the spindle because of restricted space/access.

Latest posts

Back