My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you may remember from last year,you need to get there as early as you can to get a good pod.
It's a bit of a 'first come first served' scenario for positions in the stand areas.
Also, if you book your stand pass in advance you can save a few quid (£4 for a car pass which includes 1 passenger), pay on the gate it's £7 each :cry:
I'll have a think about Stoneleigh but I'll probably want to be buffing up the FRP.
Paul

Wow that's a big saving that. We don't usually book in advance as we usually go in the Westy so if the weather's crap we don't go but if James is interested and we can meet up with you to get in line that would be cool.
Barry

Hi Barry
Download this, print, fill in and send it off.
http://www.classicshows.org/images/ClassicVehicle_Booking_Form_2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul

Cheers Paul
Did you see the return address on it? It's about 5 miles away from where I live. I must admit I'm looking forward to getting out and about to the shows again as this winter's really dragged on for me :-(
Barry

Hi Paul
Just checked on Squires website about forthcoming events and the first Ford meet (which was impressive last year) is on Sun 5th April. Are you interested in joining us? There were quite a few Pumas there last year including at least one FRP.
Barry

Yeah, count me in on that :grin:
As long as I get the MOT on the FRP. If not I'll clean up the wifey's Puma and bring that.
Paul

It's in the diary :grin:
I guess you'll be coming in on the A63 from Leeds direction?
We could meet up somewhere on the A63, there's a lay by between A656 and A1M?
I would come up through Cas.
Paul

Hi Paul
Yes I'll be coming in on the A63 and yes that massive layby on the A63 on the left just before the roundabout at the top of the old A1 would be perfect. I'll pass it on to James and Robyorks as well.
Barry

180320151940_zpsgxqvvfs6.jpg

These arrived midweek. They're Focus ST170 rear hub nuts and I thought I'd better fit some new ones as I'd had the rear hubs off loads of times in trying to sort out the rear ABS. They didn't seem as tight as they were when I first worked on them and I didn't want to lose a wheel. They seem to be a number of small nuts encased within a frame so I guess they work like screwing two nuts together tightly when you remove or replace a stud. I haven't re-torqued them as yet as my torque wrench doesn't go to 173 lb/ft but I'll borrow one in the next few days and get it sorted.

200320151945_zpsmxsyzgjf.jpg

The old nuts just separated from the washers when I took them off.

It was also my Birthday last week and my son bought me this :)

200320151944_zpstqhhifrk.jpg

tuonokid said:
It's funny how the Puma on the T shirt looks more voluptuous when I'm wearing it. :lol:
Haha, nice one.
My birthday next Friday, hopefully I'll be getting a nice DA polisher.

Looking at the close up of that wheel, you're gonna need to be really careful pulling up to kerbs.

Paul

Hi Paul
Your cars going to be even cleaner then, if that's possible. I hope it's finished in time for Sherburn.
I could do with 215s on those wheels because as you said the o/s of the tyre is about the same level as the rim but it's all a bit tight in there. TBH the wheels were kerbed to hell when I got them but I just sanded them down at the edges and put some celly silver on them so when the tyres want renewing I'll get them re-furbed.
Barry
PS If I forget happy birthday for next Friday :thumbs:

tuonokid said:
PS If I forget happy birthday for next Friday :thumbs:
Thanks mate.
Yeah, the 'spokes' on your wheels look a bit 'convex'. Really easy to scrape on kerbs.
Also, like the FRP wheels, looks like you will have to be really careful when you take them off that you don't let them fall onto the outside rim.
I'm planning on getting into a bit of proper detailing, so hopefully the FRP should be looking nice and shiny this year.
Paul

Hi Paul
I think the spokes thing is a bit of an optical illusion as the most sticky out bit is the rim itself but your right about the wheels falling over as on both sides you can hear the rim touch the floor before the tyre :-(
As for your FRP....you'll polish it away but if it ever gets perfect I know where there's a nice red one that could do with a bit of TLC :lol:
Barry

Next small job was to make a cover for the opening left by getting rid of the airbox as I didn't want the new filter getting wet with roadspray.

250320151948_zpssfpgelsq.jpg

I cut out some aluminium sheet to suit the hole and got some rubber trim to act as seals and this is what it looks like

250320151949_zpste5i5zpf.jpg

A quick coat of etch and grey primer

250320151951_zpsxt7mpyde.jpg

Painted body colour and fixed in place, not happy with the paint but will re-do it when it gets a bit warmer and less windy

270320151953_zpsafiilepv.jpg

Another job I'll have to sort soon is the hose which goes from the thermostat housing to the HCV. I can't see any support bracket to stop the hose rubbing against the frame for the rad fan. It's nearly rubbed through so I'll have to replace this so I might as well fit a new FORD HCV at the same time

270320151954_zpsbfcsxvxb.jpg

Nice job blocking the hole up Barry :)
Cone filter was the first thing to be removed from the FRP after I bought it. Not really my cup of tea.
This is what you're missing for the heater hose. If it's not there then it would suggest the gearbox has been off at some point, as it's mounted by one of the gearbox fixing bolts...

Back