My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the red :)
Why not put red on one side and black on the other, :lol: best of both worlds :lol:
Paul

My gut said black but I looked at them for a wee while and tried to imagine the whole car and I started leaning towards red..

Cheers guys and Gal
That's four each so I might go with red at one side and black at the other and canvas further opinions.
Barry

After some advice from Paul (748) I bought a clay bar kit at Stoneleigh last week.

100520152093_zpsjhnlznus.jpg

This was needed because of the amount of foreign bodies impaled in my paintwork which could have been done by me (but I'm always careful when grinding and welding) but more likely done by "Bob the builder" when they did next doors drive (Stihlsaw/ floorsaw).
Anyway I've just done my roof on the car and it feels a lot better already but I won't know for certain until I polish the roof tomorrow.

I also thought I'd make a few observations about the Puma now I've driven just over 100 miles in it.
The £69 ebay 40mm lowering springs have totally ruined the ride but they're not getting swapped back as the stance of the car looks too good but come tyre swap time I'm going to go for 205/45/17s rather than the 205/40s that are on now.

The gear change gate is very close side to side and a couple of times trying fast changes I've gone for third and got fifth.

The engine seems very flexible without any particular powerband just building as the revs rise.

For me, the seats are too short at the back of the knee and I could do with the steering wheel 3" towards me.

The full Piper exhaust system is really loud (but nowhere near the Westy :grin: )

The ST 170 brakes feel fine with the standard M/C. Amd I think the earlier M/C might be needed as on a stab at the brakes they didn't feel as powerful as they should

i'll try and add to the list as I drive it more.

The clutch pedal bite is near the top so I think I'll be fitting a new clutch in the next few months.

The gearing is very short in top gear, mine is indicating about 43mph at 2000 revs in top even with the bigger wheels which probably means that my speedo is true rather than over-reading. My speedo is over-reading by 1mph now with the 17 inchers as proved by my new Tomtom.

Acute or obtuse???? junctions are really hard to see out of as the side window roofline gets in my line of sight so I have to duck down.... not good, would be cured by lowering the seat height.

love the work you have done on your ford puma wish i could weld like you im on my second puma 1.7 now and have got a few things i want to upgrade on it so far they are
:HCV bought off ebay OE £42.00 just got to fit it (i think this is one of the most inportant things to do because if it was to go could have a hole lot of trouble)
:ABS sensor front driver side nut stuck on garage will do this for me for £10 got sensor from ebay £10.90
:exhaust back box
:ap coilovers
:17" alloy wheels
:mondeo MK3 front brakes
:K&N air filter
:pesky wheel arches cut old rust out replace with peogoet 206 arches (need professional)
:underseal hole car

then decide later which other mods i want to do
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Cheers Jason
I hope all your mods go well but don't forget if you're using 17" wheels and intending to drop it on your coilovers you will have to do something to the flange hanging down from your front inner wings or it will rip your front tyres to shreds.
As for my wheels I beat you to it and all the centres are in red now :)
Barry

hi Barry where did you get the mudguards from as i want some and have found some nice ones on ebay they are pretty big and i use the motorway a lot and get annoyed at the dirt going up the sides of my car and round the back of the rear bumper thankyou Jason. you chose wisely with red to match the car happy pumaring
Jason.

p.s i have now got the hang of photobuket and find it easy when you know how. :thumbs:

Hi Jason
The mudflaps on my car are standard Ford Puma ones which you can find easily on Ebay new or second hand but I think someone (maybe Questy) was selling a set on here the other day. If you look through active topics you should find them.
Good to hear you've sorted out Photobucket now.
Barry

Hi Barry
Plenty of lube on the clay bar and keep it clean. I'm looking forward to seeing it shiny.
You'll probably get it all done in time for Ford Fair :lol:
Paul

Hi Paul
Just about finished with the clay bar now and it is feeling a lot better but I've got a couple of other issues with the paintwork now. Both the bonnet and the horizontal part of the tailgate are scratched and dull and the passenger side door mirror (which was going pink) seems to have no clear coat left on it. If I can dismantle the mirror (electric) I'll repaint and clear coat that and Adrian, one of my Westy mates has agreed to help out with the bonnet and boot.
Looking forward to Ford fair apart from getting out of bed so early :-(
Barry

Latest posts

Back