My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Hakon (sorry I don't know how to do the accents). You've got a good start there with yours being in red it's my favourite colour for the standard Puma.
Barry

I still hadn't resolved my spare wheel issues (with having 17" wheels and 300mm discs on the front) So on Friday I did a tour de scrappys to be told by 3 different scrappys that a Ford four stud 16" wheel doesn't exist so in desperation I opted for a ST170 Focus space saver alloy as Paul (748) had let me have a look at.

060620152137_zpsydybdfnh.jpg

Now the size of this 125/85/16 is bigger than my 205/40/17s but checking on tyre comparisons is almost identical to 205/45/17s so when I swap my tyres that's the size I'll be going for.
My next problem was where to stash it in the car as a few people have said that anything bigger than 15" won't fit in the spare carrier. I didn't want it kicking about in the boot so I thought why not leave it without pressure as it might then fit in the carrier and I also had a tyre inflator kit going spare in the garage.

060620152134_zpsngildaoh.jpg

So I let the air out of the space saver and it fitted in the carrier.

060620152136_zpsvroff0ce.jpg

And then the carrier bolted up to the car

060620152135_zpsyg3dcdil.jpg

And then to cap it all the tyre inflator kit fits exactly into the slot for the First Aid kit in the boot so neat it even looks factory fit.

060620152140_zpsz1dnhvff.jpg

The only thing left to do now is to make some sort of rubber plug that flts to the wheel to stop it rattling on the boot floor as even though I've tightened fully the carrier support bolt there's still about a half inch of play above the wheel.

Carrying on with the spare wheel, because the new spare is thinner than the original it's not clamped against the boot floor as it was so it can move and push the carrier hook bolt into the boot so I got a stiff rubber grommet and fitted it above the hook which stops it going through the floor. Note also that with the carrier bolt fully tightened it's impossible for the carrier to jump off the hook as the bolt traps it on the hook.

090620152141_zpspbu9kdx3.jpg

I also welded an 8mm bolt onto the spare tyre rubbing strip then using old car hose I put it over the top of the bolt and cut it to length so it now pushes down on the tyre, hopefully stopping it rattling.

090620152142_zpsilbxjlnb.jpg

I also cut off the "stabby bits" off the rear beam as they were a bit close to the tyre. After I'd sawn off the points I replaced the rubber cover.

090620152145_zpsij531qzl.jpg

Job should be a good 'un now so I'm going for a run out in it in a bit.

Now for my confession for the "Dumbass of the year" award!
Ever since I put my car on the road I've been having trouble getting petrol in it as the pumps at the petrol station would knock off as soon as I tried to fill it. So I asked a couple of Puma mates if it was a difficult car to fill up and they said not particularly. Anyway it would fill up from a petrol can but only very slowly and if I tried too hard it would eventually blow petrol back out.
My first thoughts were that I'd left some gaffa tape or newspaper in the breather outlet when I'd stored the tank down the side of my house (when I was welding on the car). So the other day I got under the car and took the breather off but that was completely clear so I tried taking off the filler pipe but as soon as I undid the jubilee clip petrol started oozing out so I put it all back together again and went for a run in it to get the fuel down to empty.
Today I decided to have another go at it so I started to take off the filler pipe at the tank and petrol started dripping out! So I stuck a bowl underneath it put a screwdriver down the filler pipe and petrol poured out for about 2 minutes but eventually stopped after about 1 ltr came out, thank god! I took off the petrol pipe and this was the sight that greeted me!

150620152151_zpsotchfpbw.jpg

I'd left a plastic plug in the mouth of the tank! I must have taken the gaffa tape off the tank whilst it was underneath the car and because the plug was clear plastic and recessed into the tank I'd not spotted it.... what a plonker!
So I just removed it from the tank, built it all up and the job's a good 'un.

150620152152_zpsempuftbz.jpg

tuonokid said:
Now for my confession for the "Dumbass of the year" award!
Ever since I put my car on the road I've been having trouble getting petrol in it as the pumps at the petrol station would knock off as soon as I tried to fill it. So I asked a couple of Puma mates if it was a difficult car to fill up and they said not particularly. Anyway it would fill up from a petrol can but only very slowly and if I tried too hard it would eventually blow petrol back out.
My first thoughts were that I'd left some gaffa tape or newspaper in the breather outlet when I'd stored the tank down the side of my house (when I was welding on the car). So the other day I got under the car and took the breather off but that was completely clear so I tried taking off the filler pipe but as soon as I undid the jubilee clip petrol started oozing out so I put it all back together again and went for a run in it to get the fuel down to empty.
Today I decided to have another go at it so I started to take off the filler pipe at the tank and petrol started dripping out! So I stuck a bowl underneath it put a screwdriver down the filler pipe and petrol poured out for about 2 minutes but eventually stopped after about 1 ltr came out, thank god! I took off the petrol pipe and this was the sight that greeted me!

150620152151_zpsotchfpbw.jpg

I'd left a plastic plug in the mouth of the tank! I must have taken the gaffa tape off the tank whilst it was underneath the car and because the plug was clear plastic and recessed into the tank I'd not spotted it.... what a plonker!
So I just removed it from the tank, built it all up and the job's a good 'un.

150620152152_zpsempuftbz.jpg
oh well at least you sorted it we all make mistakes we are only human

Cheers Jason, yeah it should be ok underneath for a good few years now but I would love to have it resprayed in a lovely thick 2 pack to get rid of the scratches, lack of clearcoat etc but it will have to wait.

Martin, is that the car colour or the wine? :grin:
Barry

Hi Sinisa
Wow, that's cheap and I would like to come to Croatia as it's on my bucket list. If and when I decide to get it sprayed I will bare it in mind.
Thanks again.
Barry

I gave the Puma a bit of a clean and got rid of the tar spots today. Still not polished it as it wants doing with a DA polisher to get rid of the scratches.

140720152255_zpse9aoxbay.jpg

140720152258_zpstm2pewcd.jpg

140720152254_zpsypv0pe2x.jpg

Here's a picture of one of the dodgy mirrors, no clearcoat = pink mirrors.

140720152257_zpst064c2ld.jpg

And a picture of the dent that needs seeing to on the pass side sill (not done by me)

140720152253_zpskqdnx3m1.jpg

And on a brighter note I collected my shiny new V8 bonnet for the Westy from the makers in Chorley the other day and even got a guided tour through the factory (very impressive).
Here's the before and after shots.

070720152248_zpssmtv1pef.jpg

090720152251_zpsfoolld5g.jpg

It adds on 10mph at least :grin:

I'm going to rope Paul in to polishing your pride and joy whilst you go for a roll up and cuppa when we're at Ford Fair! My polish OCD can't take any more!!!

Hi James
Good man, you know how much I hate cleaning and especially polishing cars. I only started doing it today as it started off overcast, ended up being too bright for my old feeble eyes to see with the bright sun!
Barry

XAF said:
I'm going to rope Paul in to polishing your pride and joy whilst you go for a roll up and cuppa when we're at Ford Fair! My polish OCD can't take any more!!!
Sounds like a plan :lol:

Barry, that bonnet on the Westy looks great.
Paul

Cheers Paul, I ought to do something about the power output now as it looks a lot faster than it is. Any luck with the RSOC @ Donington, I'm really, really, really looking forward to it now?
Barry

Latest posts

Back