My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Barry.
But methinks you have too much time on your hands :lol: Ian G sells these motor units for a fiver.
I replaced one on the FRP last year, couldn't be arsed fiddling about like that.
Paul

Cheers Sinisa and Paul I didn't know that but £5 is two beer tokens or a bottle of plonk which I've saved myself :thumbs: :grin:

Wild E. Coyote said:
Nice. Spare tyre is still original Pirelli P6000? That IS old...
i ve had 2 ford pumas so far a panther black and melina blue both 1.7s and both spare wheels were the perelli p6000 so ended up with 2 on front of my car but now have 17" alloys so my step son has them on his nissan almera 1.5

748 said:
:grin: "Carlos Fandango" :lol:
I wonder how many people will get that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I get that big time!, proper old Skool saying :grin:, may be putting myself down a little but only the slightly older generation folks amongst us would get that. Hi anyway's, Jim.

Hi Barry.
Yes you're right these little beuts do seem to have quite a good following and a broad age range too :grin:.
Had a good read through most of your project!, lots of pages. All really good stuff indeed, lot of care and time spent," man after my own heart".
I'm not quite up on latest tech as far as posting pics and all that. I want to post some and probably will, but guess it's the time and know how??.
Your puma's looking real nice Barry, top man. Mine's not far off of being ready to be fired up and shook down.
Just doing a bit of tidying under the boot floor( you know what I mean!) atm, then rear box to complete :grin:.
All the best, Jim.

Hi Jim
Cheers for that. The photos are really easy to post up so if you can get your photos onto your computer you're half way there, just create an account with photobucket (free) upload your photos to that (easy) and then search on here for uploading to the site or drop me a line and I'll tell you how.
You've picked the right time of year to be laid under the car on your back :)
Barry

Hi Barry, thanks for the reply and will look into posting some pics when I get a bit of time.
Car's all up and running today, sounds great and looks like the lambda extension worked :grin:.
When I do rev her slightly higher though, I've got a rattle coming from what I reckon is the ABS pump. Think this may have something to do with me not bleeding the braking system as yet. All the brakes are done and plumbed in, just wanted to get her up and running and up to temp to check everything was ok and wanted to hear her with that exhaust on :lol:.
Any thoughts on the noise from the abs area next to the servo??.
Cheers, Jim.

Hi Jim
You're not supposed to start the car until you have bled the brakes according to the Haynes workshop manual(for Fiesta 1V/V)as you may trap air in the ABS system which might be causing the rattle. Bleed your brakes as soon as you get the chance and once you're not getting any more air out try the pedal feel without the engine running. 3 pushes of the pedal without the engine running should get rid of any servo effect and then leave it for half an hour, then try it again and if the pedal feel is spongy you've still got air in the system. The fix is to take it to a Ford Dealer to have the ABS unit set into purge mode to be bled but Forscan may be able to do this but I will have to ask Wild E Coyote on here. When I redid all my brakes I ran loads of new fluid through the system just to ensure this didn't happen to me.
I hope the bleeding works out for you but keep me posted either way.
Barry

Sorry,but AFAIK Forscan has that function implemented only for some american models. I would suggest contacting the developers of Forscan as they are always doing something and may develop that function just for you to see if it works!

Cheers Sinisa for that, we'll have to see how Jim gets on with bleeding his brakes first. When I've been on the Forscan site before I've seen that you've spoken to the guys/guy already on that site.
Barry

Yes, but try sending them mail directly. It works. Their 'customer support' is better than any of the all paying ones I have experienced ever! I think they must be a bunch of fanatics who do it just to prove themselves and everybody else it can be done and that that sort of challenge is driving them....

Well Barry, gents, bled the brakes today with no issues at all!.
Have got an absolutely brilliant pedal tbh. Myself and my son did them twice to be sure of no air in system.
Have to be honest was a little worried beforehand we may have a problem with air in the system. Now I feel quite happy things should be ok. The actual bleeding went really well, bled in accordance with procedure set out by Ford themselves.
Went better than expected, without a hitch :).
Obviously the proof will be when we use the car in anger(can't wait)!!!!.
Did what you put in your post Barry, came in for a while went back out and checked the pedal and it was still very very good, no sponginess at all :grin:, quite happy.
No doubt will be in touch again soon.
Cheers Fella's, Jim.

Hi Barry

Can I first say thank you for all the photos of your build. Have raced since 1975, I had to stop in 2005 due to redundancy. I have now bought myself a 1.6 Puma for Track-days and odd sprints/hillclimbs. The one I have bought has been stripped out, lowered 30mm with Apex springs and had a stainless exhaust put on it. It's had bucket seats installed and I am about to put a FIA spec rear cage in it and a 6-point FIA spec harness. It is on 15" rims for track-days with a set of 17" rims for day use.

My issue is that it needs to stay road legal to pass an MOT. I know it needs an 4-2-1 exhaust manifold to make it go better. The problem of retaining a CAT is my issue. Do I just bite the bullet and buy the complete Millitek system from Pumaspeed or is there a better option on the market?

Even though I have played with single seaters and saloon racers etc for all these years, there are so many experienced enthusiasts out there that have already done a Puma that I am better off learning off you guys.

Any help or suggestions are gratefully welcome. Feel free to PM me.

Hi Flatoutfarr
As far as I know there are only Miltek and Piper S/S systems that offer the Cat option but they are expensive so I did it the cheap way and waited for the items to appear second hand on Ebay. Whilst I was looking I never saw a cat advertised to suit my system but I was lucky that the owner of the four branch I bought had a spare FRP cat which he sold me for £35. The down side of buying all the bits separately was I had to do some work to make it all fit.
Have you gone for a 1.6 to stay in a certain class in your sprints/hillclimbs because a 1.7 has so much more power/torque?
On here there are quite a few guys that use their cars for trackdays etc and they will be a mine of information for you, try Trublustu and Noobrider.
I hope that helps.
Barry

Well, still got a few jobs to do on the Puma before it's back on the road next year including heat wrapping the four branch, sealing the Cat, painting the mirrors etc, etc but in the meantime I've been busy on the other vehicles.
The 1.25 Fiesta I bought earlier this year badly needed a service;

151020152405_zpsanra5vwu by barry wilson, on Flickr

The air filter's not shown but it was filthy and a bit oily as the car had been overfilled with oil. The cabin filter was black and may never have been changed but the fuel filter was the easiest filter change I've ever done, you can do it with no tools in about 2 minutes and no need to jack the car up as well.
Next up was the Aprilia. I'd wheeled it out of the garage to give it it's monthly start and run and noticed that one fork seal was weeping. It badly needed servicing including a valve clearance check which is super expensive so I thought sod it I'll do it myself.

121120152443_zpszov9nfkz by barry wilson, on Flickr

It's a dry sump set up on this with a paper cartridge filter just behind the alternator and a washable strainer at the bottom of the oil tank. I thought it looked quite complicated but in the end it was easy, the hardest bit was getting the oil (Putoline nano tech 4+ fully synth)

261020152424_zps93zzr7fm by barry wilson, on Flickr

With it being a V twin the cylinder heads are behind the headstock and under the rear of the tank so the tank hinges from the back giving easy access to the air box so whilst that was off I did the airbox mod and took the restrictor (for noise emissions) off the front of the airbox.

281020152428_zpsnvtcgnja by barry wilson, on Flickr

The air box is force fed through the front of the frame.

281020152430_zpsumvpibkp by barry wilson, on Flickr

With the airbox off access to the cylinders was reasonable for the valve check.

301020152431_zpstxur40gh by barry wilson, on Flickr

031120152432_zpsz9eizoly by barry wilson, on Flickr

The valve clearance were within tolerance but one of the rear exhaust valves will need shimming soon and I'm definitely not doing that.
Also taking a lot of my time and keeping the Puma out of the garage is my Sons Anglia.

121120152445_zps89vtwdzv by barry wilson, on Flickr

I had to rebuild all of the top of the inner wing and half of the kick panel.

121120152446_zps7ykb8jzm by barry wilson, on Flickr

Onto the sill structure now. the black box section is welded in bracing to stop the car from collapsing.
So, very busy at the moment and probably booked up for the next two years :)

If anyone's interested on any more Anglia stuff it's here on my sons posting;

http://younggunsclassics.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=2381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well done Barry mate, great photos and insite to how to do it, how long did it take you mate ? Did you drop axels to undercoat ? Also how did you smooth down underneath ?

Back