New Brakes help...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonspencer_1981

I'm a bit ashamed about asking this, as I'd consider myself fairly competant with mechanics. :oops:

HOW DO I CHANGE MY FRONT BRAKES (PADS & DISCS)???

I can do rears, and I'm fairly certain that after the 2 bolts on the caliper, there should just be 2 retaining screws on the disc. Thing is, I've never changed discs/pads before as I've never had the need to!

Can someone help please? :?

You'll need to split the caliper from the carrier to change the pads. THere are two rubber blobs on the back of the caliper, pull the blanking plug out of them and you will see an 8mm hex head. Undo this and the caliper separates from the carrier, then remove the pads.

Next step is to take the carrier off the hub. As you say, undo the two bolts at the back and the carrier will lift off.

Fit the new disk, the reattach the carrier. Apply copper grease to any parts of the pad backing plate that touch metal, then rest the pads in the carrier. Push the caliper over the pads, replace the rails (8mm hex) and you're good to go.

So, is the disc held on by the carrier? or are there bolts near the centre of the hub (on the disc I have 4 circles that look like bolts with blanking plugs over them???)

Does anyone have a cross section diagram or something to show all the components?

It's not necessary to split the calipers but it makes the job much easier if you do. Plus it gives you much better access to scrub it all out with a stiff wire brush.

The disc sits in the carrier, it doesn't touch it but it's impossible to remove the disc without taking the carrier off. Sometimes there is a little screw that holds the disc to the hub, although they tend not to get put back if the discs are ever changed

right, ok then. I shall have a look at it. I'm very dubious about the brakes ever being changed! The discs in particular, as they have a really thick lip on them, so they definitely need doing. I'm using a Mintex setup all round, but will be changing the discs in the spring to either some Brembo Max discs, or some Diamond Black discs. Also thinking to change to the later discs and calipers with the wider diameter, but not sure yet.

If you're thinking of upgrading to the larger brakes, you should do it all in one hit. Otherwise you'll end up with useless discs and pads, and the 260mm calipers are cheap enough

Anything thats 2000 on should be good, although it's worth checking the 1999 models as there was no definitive changeover date. You can also search for Fiesta Mk5 Zetec-S calipers

2000 is an odd transformation time. Make sure it was manufactured mid 2000 onwards I'd suggest. 1999 will almost certainly be 240 as I've known plenty of W reg (Post March 2000) still with 240s.

Back