Platinum 6 Speaker Option - info

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank said:
Silly loud, miles too loud....for their own good.
Sorted.

#1. Rear speaker enclosures are actually OK, but in addition to the 3 main screws, there's a bottom 'locator'...this must be correctly located. One of mine wasn't. :oops:

#2. Front speakers do need some extra baffling - I did this in a hour with some stick-on baffling mat.

#3. Now the real :oops: :oops: When you have the battery off, to reset ECU, etc, do try and remember that in addition to entering your radio code, that you will have to reset your balance and fade controls. Trust me on this, it's pretty important that you do (I think I've used up all the forum's embarrassed smile collection now)

I was testing stationary and whacked some Queen through it at full vol. Not what I'd do every day, but yeah, once in a while is fine with me. What can I say? - it was the dog's. :p

Reading this thread prompted me to read up on the auto ICE subject - conclusion? It's a damn complicated subject, if I was an 'Average Joe' (which I am) who just wants good, and loud (which I don't) toons then, yeah, I would have shelled out 300 notes for this, rather than mess about. It's not the best system out there, but it is a good one.

Here are a few piuccies of what the Platinum sound system comprises of..

These are the front speakers. Deffo a simple 2 wire connection.

These are the rear speaker boxes. Note the upper aperture has an egg shaped liner (for mid and tweet). This is not a 2 wire jobbie. the extra `amp loom` picks up the original speaker wire and returns a 4 wire connection.

This is the heart of the system, the amp and crossover (all bearing ford part numbers)

Here is the view in the boot of the fitted Amp, note the extra carpet which finishes it off very tidily.

It really is a quality rig up, I`m sure the 10 Mega watt sub boys will scorn, but its tidy, loud and not chinese shite!
If anyone has any pics of the rear cones that would be a great help. Cheers, Stu..

Now if only there was one on eBay for me to buy.... With the loom!

Is that a hint xaf? :wink:

I am definitely selling it and will listen to offers.
BUT...
Before I do sell it I need to pick the loom out, as it must draw quite a current from the fusebox (must use the heated screen relay/fuse) and when it`s sold, it`ll be sold "complete" (well as complete as it is!)

But when it goes on sale it will be ready to plug in with all clips, wires and instructions/pics etc.
Just needing the rear cones of your choice and a 4x20 head unit.

I still dont know it value so it would probably go on as an auction.

I had the amp etc fitted in my first Puma which was a '98.

I didn't think the system sounded that good.

I put the amp etc on EBay at a silly low price but had no takers so it went to the scrappy with the car.

I`ve found that over he last year or so that `standard` is the new `modified`!!
Original and rare parts are becoming really quite sought after.
This isn`t just a Puma thing, look at the number of concourse classes at fordfair. there were 4/5 last year, it must be 15+ this!

So I`m hoping that someone who is very much proud of their pristine Puma, quite fancies the idea of having a very uncommon original option (plus a massive amp that doesnt set their car on fire!) see`s this little lot and snaps it up.

Out of interest, did you offer the whole loom, all parts, photos, fitting instruction and as much back up support as is required?
Coz I am...

I have given a whole heap of thought into what price to ask for this little set up, with the info and backup as described above.

I will list it on eBay and push it on Facebook for £200 or best offer.

Anyone contacting me through the forum will only need £150 (I'll even help fit it if required)

trublustu said:
I will list it on eBay and push it on Facebook for £200 or best offer.
Good luck with that one.

I reckon at well nigh full original price, a nostalgia nut would want the 4 main original speakers and panels and to anyone else it's just a 17 year old amp and a few wires.

I collect rare Puma stuff, and have paid way over the odds for certain items - like original unpainted sills and body panels, an unused Millennium numbered badge and keyring, various numbered gear knobs from the first 1500 Pumas, dealer sales materials etc.

Sorry to say I'm with Frank on this one, especially as its incomplete. I wouldn't pay more than £50 for your lot personally.

I sell on a Dutch auction principle.
Seeing how much interest there is i think it may be worth a bit more than that.
(you're all following the thread!)
The speaker boxes would go for 50.
An similar spec amp is nearer 75
The 40w 2 way door speakers are worth a few quid.
Plus the crossove, quite complicated loom, carpets and the fact it an original part will push the price.
Plus fitting instructions

Not really into marketing some people.
Like the cars you see "breaking" nothing sells because its not being sold properly.
I'm sure ill find its true value in due course

evilrob said:
I collect rare Puma stuff, and have paid way over the odds for certain items - like original unpainted sills and body panels, an unused Millennium numbered badge and keyring, various numbered gear knobs from the first 1500 Pumas, dealer sales materials etc.

Sorry to say I'm with Frank on this one, especially as its incomplete. I wouldn't pay more than £50 for your lot personally.

You and me would get on like a house on fire evilrob, I'm exactly the same. Not quite sure when i'll need half the stuff but there you go.

I guess you're never going to part with the sills eh?!! ;-)

I'm on the fence a bit here, you need the right person but you also need the right bits and it being incomplete is a bummer.

I'll get mine in bits at some point and get the part numbers off the bits you're missing and see if they're common to anything else, with any luck the rear cones are not Puma specific and you'll be able to reunite it all.

Being incomplete really does knock the value of this little gem.
The fact im missing the rear cones is a gutter..
I have thought about 'finding' them to complete the kit.

As for the rear quarters, this was a Black so had the leather cards, as the option was offered across the range i recon (hope) that the cards are just modified standards.

part numbers would be fantastic Ian..

Yeah won't be a problem just need to get that particular car in the workshop.

Mine is an Alchemy one, be interested to see if you can modify a card of if they're special as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordpuma/permalink/542551785886818/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Mikey.

No, It still sits in a box..

I have found a set of rear speakers and am still looking out for rear door cards.
I might just fit it to my road car If I ever find some!

mikey s said:
[post]363658[/post] If it's still for sale I might be interested.

What's bits do you have? as I was thinking of upgrading the audio in the frp but wanted to keep it standard as much as possible.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike - if you look on my build thread for 477, I've put the platinum system in my FRP. Probably not worth it to be honest!

I have seen your build thread and is a very good read and a stunning FRP you have there!

If you are looking to sell or upgrade yours anytime :wink: haha

Do you have any pictures of the speakers in the pods as I've never seen them complete?

My girlfriend had the platinum kit and multi CD changer built into the passenger seat in her old black R reg and I didn't realise what they were. I would've swapped it over if I knew back then lol

Back