Project Pete ST24 V6

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillzy2k

Right here goes. Hopefully with some current pics of tatty Pete as is.
Argh ffs! How do u upload pics from iphone???????? Lol

Seriously though, how do i upload pics here from my iphone? I can do engine swaps and wire ecus, why cant i work a flaming fone??? Lol

Right, some pics on my gallery at last! even if i cant fathom out how to post them here. Tatty and battered it most definately is, but thatl be sorted soon enough! after all, it was a £200 scrapper to begin with! But hey! its even got its own James Bond style Ejector seat! ill have to put a pic of that up soon!

:) iv had this as an idea for ages!!! def want to see how yours goes. im currently working on independent rear suspension from a 4x4 rs2000 then will move onto the v6.

so far i reckon it shouldnt be a problem length wise and should have enough room to run the mtx box, rad will prob need to be moved forward but iv already made a rollcage bar to replace the front cross member so itl sit inside the bumper, its gonna be tight against the bulkhead and im banking on removing the brake bar to use a pedal box / remote smaller servo.

haven't got as far as engine mounts etc as im still a while off buying an engine and offering it up, measurements look very promising tho :)

Some dimensions of the V6, sorry the pics arent the best :oops:

duratec-1V6.png

duratec-2V6.png

The top of the engine is bigger where the 2 heads are, but it only takes up the space that the inlet and exhaust manifolds are on a 1.7, so its a lot smaller then you might think. How are you planning to mount it, transverse, or rear wheel set up? I like the idea of a V6, great sounding engine, and that one is quite light too

Ive had them a while, it was one of my engine choices, but im too tight to pay for 6 low comp pistons, so i stuck with the 2.0 with scope to upgrade the 2.3 later on. I have a few scematics, if you let me know what engine you want it for i can see if i have it, i take it its the 1.7 you need??

NICKED!!! will be measuring the 1.7 later!! it is a surprisingly short and light engine....how much chassis modding is going to come down to the exhaust manifolds in a transverse layout i reckon....

i did have a spare engine bay as a jig but had to get rid of it...took up too much space, esp considering i have the back half of a puma floorpan taking up space in the workshop with half a suspension setup built onto it! need to make some ali links and remove about 6 degrees of positive camber and itl be fitted to the frp...

Yeah, thats what i thought about the manifolds, the good thing is the bends don't have to be so tight because of the angles o the heads.

Ive had that before, with a spare car or engine to mock things up on , it's great, but you run out of space pretty sharpish.

Im sure I remember reading the ford V6 out the ST24 was designed by Porsche, so can't be a bad engine!!

yeh, iv heard that! they were going to use it but sold it to ford, cosworth breathed on it and now it makes half an aston v12!!! only thing that goes wrong is the water pump if its plastic...

Its going to be transverse so everything out of the mondeo an straight into puma. I was contemplating an RS2000 4x4 setup at a later date. Looks like the rear subframe will go in with little modification. As said before, both the 4x4 and the v6 have been put into mk3 fiestas so itl fit in a puma. Liked the schematics on the v6. Very usefull.

Right, time for an update! As im waiting to VIC test my car (the previous owner dented the rear quarter, and his insurance wrote it off for it!! Its hardly even noticeable!!) im currently limited to how far I can go with the mods, so; to start with, ive made up an FRP airbox, (by the way im doing a run of these so if anyones interested, please PM me. Ive had a shift around with the cars to make room for the ST24 im now breaking, (Listed on eBay) likewise, any bits required, PM me. I thought id have the lamps out to polish out some nasty scratches in them. This is when I realised i have odd lamps. OSF has H7 bulbs, whilst the NSF has 9005 bulbs, both are genuine Bosch lamps tho, somethings been changed at some point i guess.
Oh and ive repaired my parcel shelf as everyone ive had, the hinge comes adrift from the shelf.

Pictures have been taken, just need to work out how to upload them. Anyone know???

Also: A while ago, I mentioned the possibility of converting to 4wd. Well, it looks like that possibility is closer than i thought! I accidently won not 1 but 2 complete rear end setups from an RS2000 4x4. So i will be assembling one and selling on the other at some point. Christ! Ive not even got engine out yet!!!

My new rear beam polybushes!!!and a new keyfob!!

59a15f5f.jpg

Check these beauts out! Longer lasting, Hardly any difference in price but so much easier to fit!
Tis what Ford should have used as standard! But hey, theyre not allowed to make things last!

e7a60c67.jpg

Woohoo! VIC PASSED! I can start ripping Pete apart now!

iv had this as an idea for ages!!! def want to see how yours goes. im currently working on independent rear suspension from a 4x4 rs2000 then will move onto the v6.

Jacko, i only just read this! Your doing the reverse of me! Lol. Ive already aquired RS2k rear end, just need 4x4 jag box and transfer. But that can wait till after the v6 conversion. Ive already realised the standard v6 manifolds will be no good for 4x4, as they sit where the transfer case needs to be.

Right, onto getting the polybushes done an some decent brakes fitted! Its still got early 240mm discs up front and theyre shocking!!

Right a brief update and some pics to go with. Polybushes now fitted to rear beam.

02a2f9d6.jpg

ddbfa0d6.jpg

25544dd8.jpg

Car now handles loads better! No rear end twitch and no more cloncking over bumps!

On another note. Ive modified my rear beam mounts so the nuts are on the inner-most side, welded on to make captive ready for the main cross piece for when I construct an independent rear beam a la S1600.
In order to acheive this however, the fuel tank will require changing/modifying due to it being in the way, right in between the rear mounts! Anyway, ill cross that bridge when I get to it. Ill get the v6 done first!

Latest posts

Back