Puma's replacement (Picture heavy)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers! Looking forward to getting my steering wheel retrimmed - black alcantara, with a blue marker band, and silver stitching, should tie the interior to the exterior a bit better then.

Took the opportunity this evening to swap the worn leather wheel with a standard plain one, so I can get the leather wheel retrimmed;

2010-07-02001.jpg

2010-07-02002.jpg

2010-07-02003.jpg

2010-07-02004.jpg

2010-07-02005.jpg

2010-07-02006.jpg

2010-07-02007.jpg

2010-07-02008.jpg

Looks a bit plain, and no cruise control, but it should tide me over until I get the proper one back.

So, today's progress...

I had purchased a new replacement n/s headlamp, unfortunately when it arrived, two of the clips had broken; I did a deal with the seller and bonded them back on this morning, before swapping the headlamp earlier this evening.

So, n/s arch liner off (struggled with some of the clips), bumper off, so far, so good, headlamp out, still looking good, swapped the height adjust motor, feeling very proud of myself, swapped over bulbs, etc. then took it back to the car, and spotted that I had managed to scratch the new headlamp while changing everything over. To say I was cross, was an understatement!

Anyhow, I plugged it in, and everything worked, which was a plus. Then spotted that there is a bumper support fitted to the original headlamp, which was riveted on. Riveted on? Did Renault not expect the headlamp to have to be changed at some point? Anyhow, drilled out the two rivets, swapped them over, refitted bumper, struggled with the o/s arch mounting bolt, but got it all sorted eventually. What a lot of work just to change a damn headlamp!

Rant over, any tips for getting scratches out of headlamps gratefully received, I have some Meguiars PlasteX which I am hoping might work, but any advice would be great.

Scratches can't have been that deep, barely waved the Plastex bottle at them and bingo, it actually looks like a brand new headlamp, rather than a brand new scratched headlamp. Huge sigh of relief!

2010-07-04001.jpg

I use PlasteX too... although I think someone borrowed my bottle and hasn't given it back... it does work well but of course if you're using the car stuff shows up again after a few motorway miles... could be new marks though!

Ok, just got the new wheel today, and fitted it earlier this evening;

2010-07-16001.jpg

2010-07-16002.jpg

2010-07-16003.jpg

2010-07-16004.jpg

2010-07-16005.jpg

Overall I am really pleased with it, there are a couple of small creases, but for £145 I am not complaining. If nothing else, it is unique!

Comments, questions and criticism always welcome!

Nothing exciting, but gave the car a wash - the rear diffuser is massive! Also cleaned the engine bay;

2010-07-18002a.jpg

2010-07-18004a.jpg

2010-07-18001b.jpg

2010-07-18006.jpg

Engine bay is by no means perfect, but looks a lot better than it did. If only I could find my ITG stickers - I put them somewhere safe when I fitted the filter, I just don't know where!

Thanks, but the guy from ITG has already come back to me and promised to pop some in the post. Excellent service considering I only EMailed last night!

Little bit of progress over the last few days;

• RenaultSport tax disc holder
  • Repaired o/s headlamp wash - the valve inside had blocked, but I didn't find this out until I had put the airline on it, and split part of the hose - d'oh!
  • Replaced all three wiper blades with new Valeo parts, same as OE
  • Fitted ITG stickers on the air filter housing and battery cover
  • Fitted a set of used anthacite wheels, with Conti tyres, they are by no means perfect, but now I have a spare set, so I can get the others refurbished - just need to decide if I want them silver or anthracite; I liked the way the silver went with the trim, but the antracite wheels do look that bit more mean!

Finally and most importantly, fitted my Clio197.net stickers, only to have my small assistance be a touch too enthusiastic and tear one of them before I could intervene.

The car is a bit grubby at the moment, but I will try to get some pics when I have next given it a wash.

Wheels look awesome! Really fancy one of these but cannot justify changing my car right now

Thanks, I drove my old Puma today and while I did enjoy driving it, and nothing is wrong with it, it totally indemnified my decision to change.

Received a bag for the spare wheel today, it is a touch big, but was quite cheap and looks quite tidy.

Very little room in the boot with the storage tray and the full size spare wheel;

2010-07-26001b.jpg

2010-07-26002a.jpg

Apologies for the rubbish pics, camera on my blackberry isn't that bad, except in low light.

Didn't think anyone was following it!

2nd August
At a bit of a loose end on Saturday, so I decided to remove my diffuser and try to repair the clips; when I got the car, the diffuser wasn't level, and it appeared that some of the clips on one side might be broken.

Found the guide, removed the two torx screws, then proceeded to shear off one of the captive retaining bolts at the front, which then meant that I had to get the other one off two so I could actually remove the thing, so that one got sheared off too.

Removed the diffuser and found all of the clips at least partly intact, but many were folded down, suggesting that the previous effort to fit had been a bit half arsed. Cleaned up the diffuser and took the car to the garage this morning, where I also had some chromed slash cut tail pipe trims fitted.

2010-08-02002a.jpg

2010-08-02007.jpg

I think I quite like them, but it would appear that the back box needs adjusting slightly to level them out, which I guess will have to wait until I am brave enough to remove the diffuser again. I wanted something to draw a bit of attention to the exhaust, but was reluctant to go for the RS trims as they aren't cheap, and some have suggested "wheel barrow handles", so I figured some slash cut trims would look ok.

Also this weekend it got it's first polish in my care, just a quickie with SRP, mostly just to get rid of tar spots, but it came up well. Also had another small dent removed that I had noticed last time it was on the lift.

9th August

Fitted some of the silicon hoses, also fitted a footrest - cheated with that though as I hacksawed off most of the protruding rivets and just fixed it in place with the velcro that was already on the back, looks good though!

I have also just bought some used two piece AP discs, which came with some DS2500 pads; while they are a bit worn, I might give them a try if only to see how the DS2500's compare to standard. Also got some black speedlines with 888's on them, and have booked my first track day at Cadwell, so v. excited about that, just hope it stays dry, otherwise the Conti's will get a pounding.

2010-08-09001.jpg

Stack of Speedlines, w/888's, and a couple of spare standard wheels

2010-08-09002.jpg

Two piece grooved discs

Planning on getting the MoT done on Weds, I was going to take the car on the 888's, but given the forecast for heavy rain, I don't think I will bother. With a bit of luck though I might also get the discs fitted and the exhaust straightened (tips not quite level).

19th August

Car sailed through the MoT yesterday, unfortunately the garage was busy, so I didn't get chance to get the discs fitted or exhaust aligned any better, but hope to get that done next time.

On the way home I dropped some wheels off for powder coating, and have high hopes for the results!

26th August

Went and collected my powder coated wheels yesterday, really nice job, definately recommend LSN Coatings in Castleford. I will probably also get my inlet coated once I have had some work done on it, not sure what colour though, possibly anthracite.

Anyhow, here are the wheels after a coat of Auto Glym SRP, and with the TPMS sensors fitted;

2010-08-25007.jpg

2010-08-25001.jpg

2010-08-25008.jpg

Hoping to get these fitted over the next couple of days. Not quite worked out where to put the display for the TPMS yet, but I am pondering it.

Booked on a track evening next week, so I really want to get the new discs on, ideally with some hotter pads. To this end I have ordered another brake consumables kit (anti-rattle clip & two retaining pins), along with some spare bleed nipples, and also some more (anthracite) centre caps to go on my (black) Speedlines.

27th August

Excuse the dirty car, and poor quality pics, but I really like these wheels!

I wasn't a fan previously, but they look great!

2010-08-27001a.jpg

2010-08-27002a.jpg

30th August

Slightly better posing pics;

2010-08-28003a.jpg

2010-08-28002a.jpg

2010-08-28004.jpg

1st September

The car has been at the garage today, 2 piece discs are on, the Endless pads appear to actually just be standard Renault Brembo pads, but that is no bad thing really.

I'd had an issue with my wipers, which turned out to be a siezed linkage. Fortunately it was able to be free'd off, and is hopefully fine now.

2nd September

Cadwell Park - Action Pics!

DSC_0379_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0168_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0112_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0583_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0103_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0111_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0133_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0140_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0162_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0310_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_344_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0362_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0363_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0428_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0434_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_442_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0461_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0508_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_510_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0525_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0540_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0582_exposure-a.jpg

DSC_0635_exposure-a.jpg

And breathe!

The brakes were brilliant, no fade whatsoever, even in continued hard use.
The ESP system is excellent, the only time it cut in was when both my Dad and my sister got things wrong and it sorted them out, but otherwise it was completely unintrusive.
The handling is brilliant. Granted a Cup may be better, but this is my daily driver and I am getting older.

The fact that my sister could jump in it, having never driven it, or on a track before, and drive quickly, safely, and have a great time, is a testament to just how well the car is set up from the factory.

Brilliant matey!!

Very impressive that last part as well- the fact some new to the car can just jump in and go.

Back