Rear brakes....self adjusting?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinc2000

Put everything back together after fitting new shoes, bearings etc and although the brakes seem to be good handbrake is pants!!

Thought they would self-adjust once they had been used, everything was well cleaned and greased etc during rebiuld so puzzled as to lack of handbrake.

Should add that the handbrake was barely holding before rebiuld but thought new shoes would have compensated a little.

Thoughts guys please :?

You possibly need to replace the handbrake adjusters, although you might need a new handbrake cable

From Fords iirc the adjusters were about £50 pr last year at least they were for my type of adjuster (there are two kinds on Pumas).

I had the same problem last year and in my case the adjusters werent pushing the brakes shoes out and holding them there, I eased the adjusters and greased them first but despite this and despite them not looking very worn they simply would not work. Also I didnt want to try ebay cheapies as I had taken the brakes apart 3 or 4 times and just wanted it sorted.

Theres also a little adjustment on a nut on the handbrake leve under the gaitorr for the cable but it didnt work for me.

Also be aware the hub nut only has a reccomended couple of re uses and mine came apart after a few on and offs

Aye, adjusters were cleaned and greased prior to rebiuld and seemed ok .

Have adjusted via the nut under the gaiter but have yet to try on the road, could be that once the brakes are in use and the shoes have settled things will improve, will wait and see once she is back on the road.

BTW new nut in place, comes with the bearing kits.

Perhaps a few yanks of the handbrake or use of the brakes might adjust them. Mine looked fine to, but they just didnt want to work.

Ok, I am officially an idiot :!:

Having replaced rear shoes bearings etc a few weeks ago as part of rebuild I could not get the handbrake to hold at all.

Tried questy's method without success, no handbrake...bugger.

Then it hit me while I was having coffee this morning, I had already removed drums again and everything looked fine and was contemplating removing the whole set up and starting again, not a nice prospect as the rear shoes are a bit of a pain.

:idea: the handbrake adjuster nut was quite well down the thread which of course means the shoes were held quite tight in the drums, tight enough to prevent the shoe self adjusters from ratcheting up.......released adjuster nut several turns back up the thread......result......self adjusters now able to take up the slack and handbrake will now hold so tight that I can stall the car :grin:

Sometimes it helps to have a cup of coffee before dismantling things again......mind you it also helps not to be an idiot.

worst thing is that brakes were my speciality when I worked in a garage many years ago :!:

i am so happy i followed your thread as mine was the same the handbrake adjuster was right down where i had been trying to get hand brake to grip just popped outside undone nut almost to the top pulled handbrake a few times and seems to have done the trike will know later when go for a test drive

jason

:thumbs: :pose: :eek:k:

I think I read somewhere that even if your taking off the drums, you should completely slacken off the handbrake adjuster nut as it would be hard to get them off.
Anyway glad you did it in the end :grin:

no still got handbrake issues am going to my local garage tommorow get car in the air and follow cables see if one sides come uncliped anoying thing is i have the earlier drums that are smaller and not self adjusting so if cables are o.k. will have to get drums off again and wratchet it up by hand if this doesnt work as your only suppossed to use the middle nut twice what i will do is get the complete system off the puma im breaking as its a 2000 model and the drum is bigger so think it will be better anyway so will be doing this on wednesday and hope it works out good one way or the other

Jason

:roll: :pose2: :eek:k:

right i took my puma to the garage today about my handbrake when i went back asked what the problem with it was handbrake leaver was fine all cables work as they should no stretches or splits checked through the inspection hole handbrake is fine working as it should the puma i have is a 1999 and has the smaller drums he sugested to take the drums off and use sandpaper on the shoes to rough them up. i am also breaking a 2000 puma at the moment with the bigger drums so will definatly take these off and keep to go on some time as at the moment just want it to have handbrake my car must have been made when they were changing over some things as ive got the digital dash,tape ecu,but a few earlier things i will take the drums off the spare car first incase i need to use them or the centre nut goes as your only supposed to use them twice and dont kow the history on them.
tommorow im also going to start refurbising my alloys as they need it and kit came today for it i have alloy pastefiller for alloys e-tech etch primer 1 can 3 cans e-tech black gloss spray and 1 can of e-tech laquer im also going to buy some cheap black spray for the back of the wheels that you cant see and ive also got some sandpaper i will start this tommorow and take photos

Jason

:p :pose2: :eek:k:

ive just realised i have just repeated myself on some of the things i posted before oh well silly me we all make mistakes sometimes lol

Latest posts

Back