Steel Blue track car project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention, my brother also fitted my Powerflex anti roll bar bushes and the flowed 2.0 Mondeo throttle body.

We stripped my Wilwood's down for a refresh and ended up spending over £250 on replacement parts! Still we have ended up with a brand new set of 4-pots and they work loads better than before when we had a seized piston on one caliper. We replaced with new Wilwood parts the following:

- new pads,
- 8 new caliper pistons,
- all new pistons seals,
- new copper washers for the join to the braided lines

The discs were new quite recently and haven't done many miles so they were still fine. Everything was stripped, cleaned and put back together with the all new parts and it made a huge difference! Brakes now working as they should do (and I thought were pretty good before!).

Ha ha ... Flying Scotsman spotted it before I could post the update about the windows! Yeah that's my Dad fitting my new lexan polycarbonate window kit from ACW Motorsport Plastics (highly recommend them, great quality parts, great service and price).

Here's few photos of the progress but not finished in these photos:

Still with the plastic wrap on while test fitting:

These two photos were only taken on the phone but I will get some better photos when the windows are finished

In total, with removing the motors, glass and wiring, I reckon we will save around 8kg (4kg per door).

Looking more and more like the track weapon we are aiming for!

Yeah best price I found. Really helpful and delivered exactly when he said he would. The kit was about £113 including sliders on both sides. Pretty good value I think!

Scott134 said:
Yeah best price I found. Really helpful and delivered exactly when he said he would. The kit was about £113 including sliders on both sides. Pretty good value I think!

Does it come with a fitting kit? Did you get sliders for both sides?
I looked for them before but found them at £180 per side.

There's no fitting kit but the sliders come already attached and yeah I got both sides, which was recommended for airflow.
ACW sell fitting kits but he said it wasn't needed. They are 4mm so fit the rubbers then you just drill and self-tapper them in!

Managed to get a few more bits fitted recently. Here are the OMP front upper and lower strut braces ...

I also visited Stevie at Performance Puma to have the rear beam bushes changed to Flo Flex poly bushes.

Here are the old ones:

And the nice shiny new ones:

Couldn't resist this cheeky workshop photo :lol:

The car felt much tighter at the back after changing these. Much better over bumps too. Really pleased with the upgrade. I also had a new top mount fitted at the front by Steve, to replace a worn one.

I have to say what thoroughly nice bloke Steve is! He did a great job on the car and was more than happy to while away his Saturday morning chatting Pumas with me while he worked. Thanks for all your help Steve and I will be back soon! Great to meet you. :cool:

We had a trip to the Brands Hatch Indy Circuit this week for an evening track session. This is my most local circuit and it was the first time I had driven it. I will definitely be going back. It's a great circuit, short, fast, easy to learn and a lot of fun!

This was the first track day I have done with all the recent updates and the car felt sooooooo much better! It really loves the track now and nothing could lose us through the corners! The cut slicks were awesome. I will not be going back to road tyres for a track day. The grip was excellent. Half way through the session the heavens opened and rain poured down for about 10 minutes, soaking the track! After a few brave people went out to clear a bit of a line, I was back on track to see how the cut slicks handled wet weather. Again, I was really impressed with the grip and was driving almost as hard as I was in the dry! :lol: It helped that we had heated the tyres up well in the dry session, as they stayed hot for ages in the wet and gave loads of grip. As the session went on into the evening and temperatures dropped it was harder to keep the tyres warm and they got a lot more slippery!

A great day though and I can't wait to get the Puma out again with a couple more mods I have lined up. We managed to overtake a lot of more powerful cars, including the 350z, the other jap car and the MX5 in the photos below. Plus I passed a Clio 182 which I was pleased with. I went around the outside of an M3 at Druids, after letting him past on the straight then keeping with him for 2 laps before deciding he was holding me up! In the wet I also caught and passed an Elise which was getting out of shape on a lot of bends! ha ha.

Anyway, here are a few photos from the session ...

Cut slicks looking nice in the garage! ...

Thanks Sparkx.

The tyres were a steal at £130 for all 4! They are used but in great condition with loads of tread left. Yoko A048's. I'd highly recommend them (especially if you can find them at that price)! :grin:

Ha ha. Just got lucky. A guy was selling them on eBay but advertised badly. I stumbled across them. They were off his Lotus Exige and he's going to let me know when he gets rid of next set too! Problem is if I need to buy more from somewhere else they'll be dearer but now I can't go back to anything else because they are that good! Lol.

Looks like you had a great time mate! I love Brands, it's my local track too! Hopefully do another track day there later in the year! :grin:

Well if either of you book a session there, let me know as I would like to join you!
Looking at booking up Cadwell Park next.

Back