The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can change the fluid in the brake/clutch system with much less than 2 litres.
So, I would think 2 litres for the power-steering would be more than enough.
I would buy 2 x 1 litres from Halfords, and if you do it with less than 1 litre, take the other back for a refund.

Ah, kept meaning to update this! My steering pipe turned out (as seems to be the norm for my part ordering skills) to be the wrong part. There are two almost identical parts, one with external union threads (which I bought) and one with internal union threads (which I needed). Foray Ford were happy to replace after I called and pointed out that I was an idiot and had ordered the wrong part. I should receive the proper part this week.

I've a few days off at the end of the week where I should get time to get it all done and dusted. Well, until something else breaks at least.

The new (correct) power steering pipe with the internal threads turned up yesterday and today I had a few hours today to get it fitted. It all went on sweetly and after the very easy bleeding process, no more leaks! Bumper back on, for which I'll never win any prizes for my panel alignment, and up and running again just in time for the tax to run out tomorrow! :-D

Nice one mate. Glad you've had good service from Foray - I bang on about them all the time so would have been gutted if you'd have used them and been crap!

I use them as well. Shipping to Croatia could be cheaper though, but if I make a larger order it pays off anyway. And they are fast; one shipment made it to my doorstep under five days!
Excellent service

With the amount I've spent with them, I'm half tempted to see if they'll do a Project Puma discount!

Wild E. Coyote said:
XAF said:
With the amount I've spent with them, I'm half tempted to see if they'll do a Project Puma discount!

I second that!

I think that's a challenge set down there gents. Looks like Lance, Trevor and Wendy will be getting some emails over the weekend!!!

Nice one! A bit of discount would be incentive to go for more original parts in the future.

Went out yesterday to check everything is still lined up after the subframe debarkle. A quick razz down the dual carriageway proved that everything's still good. Tracking perfectly straight and solid at speed and no longer following every singe camber on the road. Jegger's a nice place to be now - no rattles and creaks (even the squealing aux belt has stopped after being removed and refitted for the thermostat swap) and everything is working as it should. The engine is still sewing machine quiet and smooth after 100k. Also, the ride still surprises me with just how perfectly dampened and controlled it is for road use.

In short - loving it! :thumbs:

I've done enough miles in Jegger lately to finally get him dirty for the first time in years. There is (inevitably for a Ford with over 100k on the clock) always a transient fault or two going on. Today was the speedo that decided it couldn't be arsed this morning and decided instead to just make a speed-dependent grinding noise behind the clocks. However, later on, it decided it had finished it's sabbatical and burst back into life. Self fixing faults are weird.

The other issue that won't go away is the tracking. I've reported a few times that 'Yay! It's finally sorted!!!' but the truth is that whenever I subsequently drive another road, the steering seems all mucked up again. Now I know it's all tracked up and the tyres are still half decent, but the steering wheel still wriggles and and squirms over uneven roads and poor surfaces. The best way to describe it is that it seems to move diagonally without steering input. Almost like the rear is steering the car and the front end is following suit. Steering corrections almost always end up in over-correction and a counter correction is needed.

What can screw up the handling in this way? Is there anything that causes these faults (other than the rear bushes which have been changed)? Can the rear spacers dissolve and cause movement? Bit stumped and it's spoiling an otherwise perfect car!

Back