The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just caught up with this, for the 1st time in 4mths or so, about 3 pages or so, after debating whether to give up on one after its last MOT, this has given be the inspiration to carry on, I'm not the most gifted mechanic, and things do worry me, like welding, as I've never done any before, but I like to give things a go...so thank you! I'd even started to 'break' it for parts for my missus' Puma, seeing as hers is a daily...

So..keep your eyes peeled for my project thread, it's on here, somewhere lol

Warren

This is my project, I started last May

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=64&t=25214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, seeing as the missus blew a tyre the other day on a massive Sussex pothole, she's nicked my Forester (the car I bought to get me across the worst of Sussex's C roads during winter - which has only truly hit this morning), so it's been up to the Puma to provide this weeks frosty motoring for me.

As ever, it's coping well with everything including stuffing my two kids in and all of their school/playgroup paraphernalia in it's tiny dimensions!

The cheapy Aero VU wipers have been superb - far better than the standard Bosch's when they were new, which is just as well as my screen wash refused to defrost at all this morning!

The restored heating cooling system did wonders clearing the ice of of the outside (and inside) of the windows this morning (although I wish Jegger's first owner had ticked the heated windscreen option).

The key fob has packed up though meaning using the passenger door lock to open and close. Minor problem though in the grand scheme of things. :cool:

Over a month since I updated? Time flies like a....thing with wings... that flies. A fly?

Anyway, I've actually done a few miles over the last month - probably more than any other year in total to be honest, most likely helped by the fact I haven't tried taking anything apart.

However, as Puma addiction is never far away, I've been browsing Gumtree and Friday Ads for Millenniums, hoping that I could get a ropey one to either do up or break if it was too far gone. There was a straight looking one for sale over Eastbourne way, but I couldn't get time off work during the week to pursue it quickly enough. Oh and the seller was a bit of a grumpy tit so I let it go.

I did see a really battered 2001 moondust that was for sale for £350 just 12 miles away. Not my cup of tea but I decided to look through the images anyway. The tiny thumbnail images told me little about the car other than the arches were rotten (they were always going to be) and the off-side rear had suffered an argument with something solid. But, the seats looked a bit wrong, a bit shiny and a bit, well, not like standard Puma seats. A bit of a google search and my suspicions were confirmed - some one had transplanted a set off Millie Recaros into it at some point of its life!

Now, I've been keeping an eye out for some of these seats for a while (I find the stock seats in Jegger the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in), but prices have gotten silly so had put them to the back of my mind.

It had been on Gumtree for a long while and the price had been dropped down to £350 - still too much for a battered Puma even if it did have an MOT until September. I sent a text asking about the seats and I had a reply saying that they were leathers but sadly they were pretty worn - would you like to make an offer on them as the car was really in the way and probably off to the scrappers.

I mentioned this to my neighbour and suggested he may like to buy the rest of the car. So today (and with an offer for £180 for the whole lot) we went to have a look around it. Yes, it is hugely tatty, but surprisingly, the electrics all worked, the engine sounded, if anything, sweeter than Jeggers, the aircon still blew cold, the tyres still had plenty of tread and all of the abs, traction control and airbag lights came on and went off at the right times.

The seats were, indeed pretty worn on the bolsters and had split in places, but by god they are comfy, so they're going in Jegger! I'll look at getting them repaired during the summer.

So, with a bit of luck, there will be another Puma in the street from tomorrow. My neighbour just wanted a car to scrag around during the Spring and Summer and this fits the bill nicely. If/when it fails its next MOT (rot near the rear subframe is taking hold), we'll be stripping it for spares and selling them off. Scraping the rest will cover most of what we paid in the first place so it hopefully should be a win win. Unless I get greedy and hoard spares that is....

NAX has arrived! Scruffy but serviceable!

IMG_8191_zps0ac91ed0.jpg

This arch not so bad...

IMG_8190_zps608e5693.jpg

This one less so...

IMG_8189_zps020281f8.jpg

Beautifully executed bit of Motorsport heritage...

IMG_8192_zps020281f8.jpg

This is the worst bit of the seats, but the rest is fine and recoverable without surgery...

IMG_8188_zps143dda4c.jpg

It's also got the matching door trims which are in good fettle.

So far, it seems to drive well - the engine pulls harder than Jeggers (which makes me think Jegger's a bit poorly) and other than a slightly high clutch, everything seems fine. Even got all of the keys! Neighbour seems pleased anyway so just need some decent weather to swap over the interior.

Yep, looking forward to making the swap. I had a sit in them and they are lovely! Good news is that it's a proper 2000 mishmash model meaning it has the blue interior. Straight swap with Jeggers seats and door cards without them looking weird in NAX.

myweepuma said:
Those seats are great to sit in!!

Unless you want to have a blast in the car. I have them, and ther are comfy alright, but not sporty at all. They look far better than they hold you in; you are sliding in them all the time...

But for a nice drive they are nice...

Wild E. Coyote said:
myweepuma said:
Those seats are great to sit in!!

Unless you want to have a blast in the car. I have them, and ther are comfy alright, but not sporty at all. They look far better than they hold you in; you are sliding in them all the time...

But for a nice drive they are nice...
They sound perfect then! The standard ones are horrible torture devices and don't hold you in either. I spend less time at 10 10ths and far more stuck behind traffic. It was the same reason I removed the Eibach springs really!

If I may offer some advice. Since you will be repairing them, I strongly suggest you put alcantara in the middle section where you sit in. The side (bolsters) put leather to ease the sliding in and out, but for the base use alcantara. Not only with proper colour choice it will look perfect, but will as well:
a) not burn you in summertime when you sit in after the car was in sunshine for an hour or so (I tend to leave the windows open by at least 2-3 cms to enable at least some ventilation
b) won't be stonecold in winter in the morning (mine have seat heating, I am under impression that the ones in UK don't)
c) you won't sweat like a pig on them if it is over 15C and sunshine
d) you won't slide in them in every turn you negotiate with more then 40 kph...

I won't be covering them entirely (waaaaaay above my budget!!) just the bolsters where they're ripped. I want to keep as much original as possible as I like the worn look of old leather seats. I've had cars with leather seats before (Try an MR2 T-Bar with black leather seats and no aircon for discomfort) and I realise the short-comings, but as long as they don't cost too much and I stop getting a numb bum and back ache after 15 mins, I'll take that as a win. :lol:

The Arch Bishop said:
As long as ... I stop getting a numb bum
Let's be honest - the blame doesn't lie entirely with the seats on that one does it... :-D

Still not driving to Cambridgeshire...... Sorry, motorway driving phobia + lots of motorways =
Shaking_head.gif

Yeah.... I can do gifs too.... :p

Edit 1 year later - Clearly I can't do gifs too...

Latest posts

Back