IDIOT PROOF-NOT FOR THIS IDIOT LOSING COOL OVER SENSOR

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloopjohnrb

COOLANT TEMP SENSOR SNB834 FORD
Wy nephew recently bought a Puma, and it needs to have the coolant temperature sensor replaced-I've got the part as detailed above.

The trouble is- I CANNOT FIND THE WRETCHED THING.
I've found similar looking sensors all over but not the one that's right.
So, I've become confused.

Would it be possible for someone to tell me exactly how I get to it-do I need to remove battery and battery tray?
Where is the coil situated exactly and does it need removing?

If you treat me as a complete beginner than that would help.

I've. spent this morning in a freezing garage, trying to locate this sensor,
and it's so frustrating not being able to positively ID it.
1997, 1.7 petrol, manual.

Many thanks for reading.
Best wishes

It's below the ignition coil pack.
You need to remove the pack to get to it, but before you do, why are you changing it, what's wrong?

Hi, the temp gauge goes straight to the red when the auxiliary ignition is switched on-the engine not running.
It's like the reading one gets from a full fuel tank.
It's stuck on red all the time.

Obviouly a false reading we've had for some time, was told it was the sensor.

Many thanks for your kind reply.
best wishes

Hi
The reason I asked was because if you were getting a fluctuating reading, it can be the heater control valve failing, but in this case sounds like the sensor, or wiring.
Ignition coil is to the right-hand side of the silver engine cover (1.7), and has the spark plug leads connected to it.
Coil is held down by 4 bolts.
You will lose coolant (antifreeze) when you take the sensor out. Change it when the coolant is cold and have the new sensor ready to immediately screw back in.
Don't forget to top up the coolant (antifreeze). If you only lose a very small amount, water should be OK, but if a lot, you need a 50%/50% mix of coolant/water.
After unbolting the coil, if this does not give you enough movement for accessing the sensor, you may need to remove the silver engine cover as well.
Engine Cover and Igniting Coil retaining bolts should only to be tightened to 6 Nm.
Shout if you still have a problem.

Hi, Just finished the job, which without your guidance I couldn't have done.
When i found the coil pack it was straightforward job thereafter, but finding it was the key-thank you again.

The new sensor hasn't, after all, cured the problem.
I checked all the wiring whilst I was doing the job and it checks out ok.

the only thing it can be now is the gauge itseld malfunctioning?
Thanks again

Back