inner tyre wear and camber

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielz000

Hi all,

I've read a few posts on here but can't really find the answer I'm looking for....

Had some pretty bad inner tyre wear on the front passenger side...

Had the tracking looked at and they only adjusted the drivers side. No idea if they did it correctly but I'm guessing inner tyre wear is a camber issue and the change to the toe on the drivers side won't make a different to the wear...

Now, from what I've read the only adjustment on a Puma is toe... So, given the inner tyre wear I have a few questions...

1) Could toe in/out problems cause inner tyre wear?

2) What could cause the camber to be out? Could this be because of damaged or worn parts?

3) Assuming it is a damaged or worn part, where could the problem originate from?

4) A while back I had a hunters 4 way wheel alignment done on the car, how do these guys adjust camber on the front and toe/camber on the back?

Cheers,

Dan

Additionally, can someone explain how this tool works...

laser_wheel_alignment.jpg

Something like this was used to measure the toe... Hung over the back wheel with a laser pointer on the front wheel (if i recall) I'm guessing all it's good for is matching one side to the other as it doesn't appear to tell you what the toe in/out is in degrees.

What would 0 degrees toe be? Somewhere in the middle of the black line?

First thing....makes no difference which side they adjust, it will correct the toe in/out and the end result is the same but ideally (to keep steering wheel straight) they should adjust both sides equally
Second...bad inner wear on one side only could also be down to knackered bottom ball joint, allowing wheel to kick out at the bottom, or even a bad track rod end (although that may wear both sides as steering compensates)
Third..as far as I am aware four wheel alignment does just that, once the front toe in/out is corrected the rear wheel are then aligned with the front by moving the rear beam slightly, I don't think there is any adjustment of toe in/out available on the rear.
i did have mine done after new rear beam bushes were fitted and the result was amazing.
hope that helps, if not someone else will jump in

Cheers Zinc.

I'll give the ball joint a check but when i had the new tyre fitted the guy gave it a shake and it all seemed solid.

Also, I'm pretty certain that wish bone is under 3 years old. It's probably only covered 10k miles but what with all the pot holes around I'll certainly check everything.

Latest posts

Back