Please help...for how long can I use these cambelts?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi guys!

Bought a 1.7 Puma last week, but haven't driven her at all, due I wanted to sort out the few problems I'd noticed at first.
But after a few days, of course more and more problems appear and it's been 5 days and still have't driven her, just reverse 1 metre...If interested, check "another boring newbie" topic.

I was so busy with the filters and stuff, that the cambelt slipped my mind. Rookie mistake, I know. Today I had a look-I shouldn't have...

What do you think, how long will I last with these?
DSC01568.jpg.html

http://s162.photobucket.com/user/justo8705/media/DSC01568.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine looks like excatly like this from the inside, but the back layer is in good condition and no sign of rips or wear.

I'm getting really upset.I have to spens lots of money on her, but I haven't even driven her...Please give me advice about the cambelt. The MOT ( in the UK, it's an every-year menhanical test on vehicles, of course can be quite expensive) had no advisories, was done January.
Thanks.

Replacement for cambelts is 80,000 miles or five years. You have to decide how long you want to keep your Puma and how much its worth to you.

People can get a replacement Puma for the cost of some garages cambelt replacement.

quest63 said:
Replacement for cambelts is 80,000 miles or five years. You have to decide how long you want to keep your Puma and how much its worth to you.

People can get a replacement Puma for the cost of some garages cambelt replacement.

70k on clock. What do you think, how many miles can I put into those cambelts? Just approx. Thanks.

That's not the cam belt , it's the auxillary drive belt. Half hour job to change it, about £20 part.
Sorry to give you more bad news, but the fact that the aux belt is in that state indicates that the cam belt hasn't been replaced recently either.The cam belt is under the black plastic cover at the same end of the engine. £300- 400 job to get that changed.
Paul

748 said:
That's not the cam belt , it's the auxillary drive belt. Half hour job to change it, about £20 part.
Sorry to give you more bad news, but the fact that the aux belt is in that state indicates that the cam belt hasn't been replaced recently either.The cam belt is under the black plastic cover at the same end of the engine. £300- 400 job to get that changed.
Paul

Thanks man. I'll have a look tomorrow morning. I'm slowly accepting the fact, that I'll be a 31 years old man, with no money at all...

It's not how the belt looks that you need to worry about as it's the tensioner that's most likely to break

oilburner said:
It's not how the belt looks that you need to worry about as it's the tensioner that's most likely to break

Hi oilburner!

The picture on the top is not my own, just found it on the net. My auxiliary belt look exactly like that, but my tensioner looks good, not like that on the picture. Thanks you.

Shop about for cambelt prices, got mine done about 2 years ago and it was less than £200 fitted and the garage I used is really good, I take mine there for all the jobs I cant do on my own now :)

How many times can you shoot a pistol at yourself loaded with five of six bullets after spinning the chamber?

Now apply that to cambelts, the recommended interval was dropped from 10 years 100,000 miles which ever occurs first to 5 years and 80,000 miles.

red said:
How many times can you shoot a pistol at yourself loaded with five of six bullets after spinning the chamber?

Now apply that to cambelts, the recommended interval was dropped from 10 years 100,000 miles which ever occurs first to 5 years and 80,000 miles.

Hi there!

I have read the manual fully the 1st night, I know the cambelt miles is less than the 1.4 and 1.6 Pumas.
This is not my picture of the auxilliary belt, as I can't upload from my own gallery, found this on the net.
Only my auxilliary belt looks like that, but the small wheel underneath is in good condition. No crack on side.
I was worried about who the cambelt looks like, but to my surprise, it looks exactly like this on the picture.
DSCF5064.jpg.html

http://s162.photobucket.com/user/ArcaneIS200/media/Lexus%20IS200%20SE/DSCF5064.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Waht do you think? All of the cambelt teeth are fitting to the small wheel teeth underneath and no sign of much wear. I will shop around for the auxillary belt change tough. Thanks.

lusid666 said:
Shop about for cambelt prices, got mine done about 2 years ago and it was less than £200 fitted and the garage I used is really good, I take mine there for all the jobs I cant do on my own now :)

the weird thing is that, the cambelt looks good.
DSCF5064.jpg.html

http://s162.photobucket.com/user/ArcaneIS200/media/Lexus%20IS200%20SE/DSCF5064.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not my own picture, but condition wise looks like this.
But the auxilliary belt need changing deffo.

gingerdave said:
If you're happy how it looks good luck and drive it but can only blame one person when it let's go..no second chance.

Hi

The auxiliary belt will be changed soon and in the same time I'll have them to check the cambelt as well. I drove her today, for the first time, she was on the driveway, since she was dropped of to my address and even I only drove 2 miles, I'm still smiling after hours! So probably for a few days, I won't care about money much, so I'll fix what I can. I'm slowly accepting the fact, that I'll be a 31 yo guy, with no money :)

Back