Re-attach snapped mirrors - guide?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCavan

Hi guys, both my mirrors (electric) were "snapped off", so removed from the base and hanging from the cables, but not broken save for some bits in the inside.
The way they adjust is through 2 anchor points: (1) a fixed one in the the front (viewer side), and (2) a folding one on the back (road side).

So I guess I need 1st to re-fit the fixed anchor poit and then the one that folds.

I can re-fit the back anchor point forcing the folding mechanism with the finger to show out of the mirror container, BUT no freakin' idea how to re-fit the fixed anchor point, as there doesn't seem to have moving parts and no idea how to re-attach it.

Any help, please?

If you are talking about puma mirrors, they are not foldable.There is a plastic tab inside that is holding everything together. It 'bites' into the metal. If they are hanging, there is a very good chance these tabs are broken and you will not be able to repair them (easily). I have seen some 'repairs' where the outside skin was bolted to the metal part by screws and other where the outside skin was glued with everything in it making it permanent fixture. If you opt to go this route, I recommend the windshield glue, as it is very strong and should hold in the long run

I got replacement mirrors and they don't fold easily so I'm wondering how much may I force them or whether, being stuck after so many years, there's big chances of breaking them... May az i try applying WD-40, even though most of the mechanism is plastic?

My mirrors have always been stiff and squeaky even when the car was relatively young in 2007. Because of that and because they stick out almost as much when folded, I have to say I don't bother to fold them.
As it happens, both of my mirror smashings have happened while driving anyhow but neither were my fault!

Back