Strange HCV behaviour?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gebbly

Hi All,
I have read many threads in the past about HCVs failing and their symptoms but wanted to run something by the general wisdom here.

For the last few months I've been having trouble with the blowers. With the dial set to max cold they start off blowing cold air correctly whilst driving around town. If I drive for long enough the air starts to warm up until it feels like the dial is max hot.

Most of the stories I have heard would suggest if the HCV is faulty it tends to stick in one position rather than changing.

The weirder thing is if I am doing any distance driving. Most of the time I am on motorways the air is cool. When I turn onto local roads slowing and stopping at junctions etc the blower immediately gets very hot. If I then up the revs by either revving the engine(purely to test this theory) or going back onto motorways the air sometimes cools back down again.

I thought for a bit it was the air blowing over the engine overheating but the engine temperature gauge says all is normal.

Has anyone encountered this before? I have purchased a replacement HCV as a first step which I will be fitting over Christmas and fingers crossed that will solve the problem.

Is there anything else you suggest I investigate?

I had something similar on mine. Driving round town heater was warm even though dial was on cold. On motorways it worked as it should. The fault on mine was the pollen filter .it looked like it had never been changed and was completely black.
Changed this and now works as it should.

Got a proper ford part from fordpartsuk. I seem to recall something problematic if they arent the genuine part but cant remember what.

Interesting tip about the pollen filter. Will look into it. Be annoying if this was the case as the filter is *supposed* to be changed in a service.

I had all sorts of strange things happening with the hot / cold - it had a mind of its own and would vary without me changing anything. I tried two ebay HCV and neither worked properly -A Genuine Ford HCV worked without issues and all problems solved.

Back