Eibach / Ford Lowering Springs Kit - Fitting and Pics

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XAF

Having been a 'silent' forum member for a few years, and taken loads of ideas and help from you guys, I thought it was time to do my bit!

There are loads of threads around the net on which springs are best etc, how low they make it, cost etc, and after deciding that the Eibach ones looked the best, I got some from fordpartsuk for £143. In the kit you get the four springs, and two new bumpstops for the rear. Thanks to flyingscotsman for his help at the last minute on Sunday as I didn't know whether the bumpstops in the box were for the front or back!

This is what you get in the box:
IMG_1487.jpg

New bumpstop and old:
IMG_1488.jpg

Before:
IMG_1483.jpg

After:
IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

Really pleased with the results. Dropped by 18mm at the front and 29mm at the back. I didn't want it really low, just enough to look good, without looking like I'm trying too hard. Really suits the new wheels too (brand new Cosworth design ET35 7x16 - this forum has ended up costing me way too much money!!! The way I see it though, what I've spent over the last few months is still less than a boring rep mobile would have depreciated in the same time).

The ride is spot on, better cornering, and slightly firmer, but not crashy or hard. Put it this way. It rides 10x better than my Civic Type-R ever did.

Time will tell when I go round Cadwell Park in two weeks!

I agree its just the right amount lower, really how they should all have looked from new.

However I'm still not convinced yet the bump stops are for the rears, I think theres links to contradictory evidence from the other site, although that to is opinion obviously.

quest63 said:
I agree its just the right amount lower, really how they should all have looked from new.

However I'm still not convinced yet the bump stops are for the rears, I think theres links to contradictory evidence from the other site, although that to is opinion obviously.

Yeah, I agree with you. Hope they are for the back, they're not coming off now! I can see why they would be, they fitted into the original dust covers, and with the lowering, the piston wouldn't have enough travel on the shock with the old ones. Just my thoughts anyway!

Flying Scotsman said:
Good job on the lowering... you certainly notice it visually. How does it feel when driving?

Feels really good. I was a bit surprised actually how good. The last time I lowered a car was a long time ago, and that felt shocking. Mind you it was 15 years ago..... and a Cavalier!!

Looks great and I'm really looking forward to getting mine on there. Have to say that those in the know have said that the bump stops are for the fronts I'm afraid! Ah well, if it drives ok then it doesn't matter really!

By the way, some one really ought to sort out some steps for the door in the last photo...

The Arch Bishop said:
Looks great and I'm really looking forward to getting mine on there. Have to say that those in the know have said that the bump stops are for the fronts I'm afraid! Ah well, if it drives ok then it doesn't matter really!

By the way, some one really ought to sort out some steps for the door in the last photo...

To a window?!! ;-) Got to love barratt houses!!!

Would have been useful for something simple like that to be included I the box wouldn't it. Not noticed anything wrong yet. Been over some big speed bumps, filled it up with stuff so it's laden, so hoping that even if they are the wrong way round, it doesn't seem to be causing a problem yet.....

Dare I search for the threads on this, or will I just upset myself?!!!!!

Oh well, rear hub spacers next - best make sure I get those right!!!

XAF said:
To a window?!! ;-) Got to love barratt houses!!!

Would have been useful for something simple like that to be included I the box wouldn't it. Not noticed anything wrong yet. Been over some big speed bumps, filled it up with stuff so it's laden, so hoping that even if they are the wrong way round, it doesn't seem to be causing a problem yet.....

Dare I search for the threads on this, or will I just upset myself?!!!!!

Oh well, rear hub spacers next - best make sure I get those right!!!
It's a window? Really thought it was a door!

Anyway, you'll just upset yourself and it's not causing a problem, I wouldn't worry! :lol:

Guess who's cocked up?!!!

I emailed Eibach just to be sure whether I'd put the bump-stops on the wrong shocks or not. And yes, I did! They've replied saying that they should definitely be on the front, not the rear. Ooops!

Oh well, they're not coming off again now, so let's hope it doesn't break!

XAF said:
Guess who's cocked up?!!!

I emailed Eibach just to be sure whether I'd put the bump-stops on the wrong shocks or not. And yes, I did! They've replied saying that they should definitely be on the front, not the rear. Ooops!

Oh well, they're not coming off again now, so let's hope it doesn't break!

Yeah... I don't have them on mine either lol

Back