Rotten Tone's rotting rot box

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

1998, Jewel Green 1.7

Modifications to date:

External
WHAT A WASTE OF TIME ALL THAT WAS...

Internal
KEEPING EVERYTHING

Modifications to come:

External
CRUSHED TO A CUBE!

Things I need to do:
GET RID OF IT!

Other 'as & when' bits 'n bobs:
LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE

Photos to come...... of all the bits for sale

When my last delivery of orange LEDs arrived, they were darker than the first lot. As I don't want to mix the colours on the rear lights I'm making, rather them going to waste, I decided to change my front indicators:

2013-01-06-400.jpg

2013-01-06-401.jpg

2013-01-06-402.jpg

Took the Puma to a local garage to enquire about the beam pattern and level of my headlights. They were checked and needed a minor adjustment, but even though they are HID, the garage said they are aligned and correct!

Went to a scrappers with a friend today for something for his car, but came out with a heater matrix for mine:

2013-01-19-458.jpg

Pulled it from a Ford Van. Looks pretty good. No coolant marks/stains or signs of any leakage. Was dirt cheap too.

I'm going to attempt to fit this tomorrow. I have A/C, so going to try and do it without disconnecting any of the A/C system.

Today I have successfully changed the heater matrix WITHOUT having the air conditioning system disconnected. It's a bit of a faf, but reasonably easy with a little care and some common sense!

The hardest part to get over is the air conditioning pipes sit behind the window wiper mechanism and also stops the unit being pulled straight out.
So, inevitably, some parts need to come off!

Everything I took off went in to a plastic Chinese tub. Then, things like screws don't get lost, and I know if I've put everything back on at the end!

Firstly, remove the wiper arms, the scuttle plate/cover, coolant expansion tank, the plastic strip that runs along the bulkhead, wiper motor/mechanism and finally the HCV.

This will leave you with something that resembles this:

2013-01-20-459.jpg

2013-01-20-460.jpg

On the left side of the engine bay, you will see a rubber mount (almost underneath the screen wash bottle top) which holds the two air con pipes. Pull the lower one out of the rubber, then from the plastic clip further along.

2013-01-20-465.jpg

Also, I disconnected the electrical plug from the air con pipe. The other end of that wire was plugged in on the right side near the fuel tank evap purge unit. I unplugged it here also so I could remove the wire totally out of the way.

Remove the two small pipes from the heater matrix and remove the four screws which hold the black plastic cover (that the pipes come through).
Lift up the black cover, but at the same time, you want push the heater matrix pipes so they push through, leaving the matrix behind.

Now, deep breath because this is the 'iffy' part.... GENTLY manipulate the air con pipes so the heat exchanger unit can be pulled out but allowing the pipes to clear the bodywork above. An extra pair of hands at this point to help manipulate the pipes is a good idea.

After a bit of jiggery pokery, you should hopefully end up with something like this:

2013-01-20-462.jpg

2013-01-20-463.jpg

Phew, we can breathe now. We can see the lovely little heater matrix hiding in that dark hole. Pull the top of it forwards, towards the front of the car, then lift it out.

Out of interest, I had a look in the hole and found this:

2013-01-20-464.jpg

Hmm, that's what has been evaporating and making my windscreen mist up!

It's easy to reach in there, so grab a hand full of kitchen roll and give it a damn good clean!

Put everything back together but in the reverse of removal, again being very careful with the air con pipes. Bend them too much and you'll end up creasing/rupturing one!

I took the opportunity to give the moving parts of the wiper mechanism a squirt with lubricant as they were starting to sound a bit dodgy.

When all back together, start her up and wait for the coolant to warm up. Pop the heater on hot and wait for the heat to come through.
A little squeeze of some coolant pipes may be necessary and don't forget to check the coolant level too!

So, total cost of this job £10...

Thanks.

It's going to be such a luxury being able to have heat and see where I'm going at the same time!

SENATEpumA said:
Lighting for rear seat area
A couple of small goodies arrived in the post today:

2013-02-01-499_zps1140c217.jpg

Fitted out with white LEDs:

2013-02-01-501_zps01638aa4.jpg

2013-02-01-502_zpsbe694bc3.jpg

2013-02-01-503_zpsa8c7609a.jpg

...also had to cut a part of the rear plate off

All wired up ready to go:

2013-02-01-505_zps7e243b3c.jpg

Give me a chance!

They are in and wired up. Need to do quick test drive to make sure all dials are working before i put the front on the dial housing.
Then going to put the UV LEDs in as the needles appear to be luminous under UV light!

SENATEpumA said:
Plasma dash dials - DONE
UV dial needles - FITTED UV 'DIAL LIGHTS'

Plasma dials... this is what you get in the box:

2013-02-02-506_zps8a453354.jpg

I had changed my dials to black, so had to put the white faces back on. Plasma dials fitted:

2013-02-02-507_zps415fe464.jpg

2013-02-02-508_zpsf27cffa1.jpg

3 small notches needed in the rear of the housing so the front won't jam the wires when it's back together...

Find wires for the dash lighting. I used those squash together things as it was a bit of a confined space to try and chop & join wires:

2013-02-02-509_zps2b0a73d5.jpg

Testing....

2013-02-02-510_zpsda84db0b.jpg

2013-02-02-511_zps50a30991.jpg

All back together:

2013-02-02-512_zps8d460128.jpg

Blue:
2013-02-02-513_zpscdb7690f.jpg

Green:
2013-02-02-514_zps5ce489d2.jpg

The mounting for the switch (switches between green & blue) and the brightness adjuster is quite large. I've got it through to where the fuse box is, but now kind of stuck on where to mount it.

Back