BigAl's Black Cat!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping you wasn't going to say that.. Mac said the exact same thing :lol:

I wouldn't mind knowing... I remember seeing your mondeo covers etc and always looking professionally done.
What paints & process are you using/doing to achieve this?

Im wanting a sort of black gloss finish on my cam cover and my inlet maifold... With writing highlighted...

Flying Scotsman said:
I wouldn't mind knowing... I remember seeing your mondeo covers etc and always looking professionally done.
What paints & process are you using/doing to achieve this?

Im wanting a sort of black gloss finish on my cam cover and my inlet maifold... With writing highlighted...

Hello mate

Fairly straightforward! Done in 3 stages, first rub down clean with white spirit & then a few coats of primer. The trick it to put on a thin coat every 10-15 minutes to build it up (hopefully avoids runs by not trying to put on too thick in one go!) then I leave it for 24 hours & put on a couple of coats of whichever colour you want. Then leave it again & put on a couple of coats of lacquer the next day.

It's certainly not a professional finish, really need a compressor & spray gun for that! But it comes out ok.

I hope that helps
:grin:

Sparx said:
Do you just use paint and lacquer from an aerosol can?

I do Sparx! I do find the Ford paint seems better than the Halfords stuff, although expensive & the small cans don't go far! Should buy myself a proper compressor & spray gun I guess! :cool:

BigAl said:
Sparx said:
Do you just use paint and lacquer from an aerosol can?

I do Sparx! I do find the Ford paint seems better than the Halfords stuff, although expensive & the small cans don't go far!..

Noted thanks :eek:k:

Id reccomend using 2k laquer, not the celulose laquer. You can get it in cans now, and the finish is like night and day compared to celulose laquer, and its a lot tougher and heat resistant. Or you could use a VHT clear laquer.

The lime green and orange looks well smart, but i decided to go with the oil leak and grease colour scheme, with a touch of rust just to liven things up a bit!! To the untrained eye, it appears that oil has leaked out everywhere, but those of us in the know, really know its designer!! :cool:

PumaNoob said:
Id reccomend using 2k laquer, not the celulose laquer. You can get it in cans now, and the finish is like night and day compared to celulose laquer, and its a lot tougher and heat resistant. Or you could use a VHT clear laquer.

The lime green and orange looks well smart, but i decided to go with the oil leak and grease colour scheme, with a touch of rust just to liven things up a bit!! To the untrained eye, it appears that oil has leaked out everywhere, but those of us in the know, really know its designer!! :cool:

You can't beat a bit of 'designer' rust mate! I've got plenty of that underneath, I even had a designer plate welded in as I didn't want to overdo the rust & holes theme i had going on! :lol:

petrolsniffer said:
loving the color theme going on!

Where did you get the induction kit?

Cheers mate! :-D

The induction kit is a Ram Air filter & then it has a Roose Motorsport induction hose in RS focus green

It was really nice to this at Rockingham last week, it looks amazing in real life.

The bucket seats look great, however it would be a shame to remove your beautiful leather seats.

Like I said to you at Rockingham, I think I lower strut brace will be the next best thing to add to your car. And for the the price of them, it's one of the cheaper mods.

Bentleya said:
It was really nice to this at Rockingham last week, it looks amazing in real life.

The bucket seats look great, however it would be a shame to remove your beautiful leather seats.

Like I said to you at Rockingham, I think I lower strut brace will be the next best thing to add to your car. And for the the price of them, it's one of the cheaper mods.

Thanks mate, it was great to meet you too! :grin: I know what you mean about the leather but as it's my 'fun' car & for track days they've got to go :( I've actually fitted the bucket seats today (well 1 of them!) so I've removed the leather seats and I'm about to put them up for sale on here!

& I'm definitely gonna be getting a lower strut brace following your advice, & touch wood a LSD so I can go round the bends even faster! :-D

BigAl said:
I know what you mean about the leather but as it's my 'fun' car & for track days they've got to go :( I've actually fitted the bucket seats today (well 1 of them!) so I've removed the leather seats and I'm about to put them up for sale on here!

Maybe now you can keep up with me on that straight :-D

BigAl said:
...I'm definitely gonna be getting a lower strut brace following your advice...

Are you actually gonna fit it? :lol:

Sparx said:
BigAl said:
I know what you mean about the leather but as it's my 'fun' car & for track days they've got to go :( I've actually fitted the bucket seats today (well 1 of them!) so I've removed the leather seats and I'm about to put them up for sale on here!

Maybe now you can keep up with me on that straight :-D

BigAl said:
...I'm definitely gonna be getting a lower strut brace following your advice...

Are you actually gonna fit it? :lol:

I may fit it Sparx, or I might just leave it laying in the boot to keep the other one company!! :p

& it feels nippier already now it's shed some weight! Now the driver just needs to lose a few pounds!! :lol:

Back