Mk1 Focus RS powered Puma, now going RWD, JWRC

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ben
I'm sure I've seen on here that someone put a switch in to disable the TC but it also disables the speedo. Have a search I'm sure you'll find it.
Barry

Thanks Barry, will take a look. Not good if it disables speedo though!

My guess was to take a wire from the where the fuse is and put an in-line switch in, which cuts the power to the module. The speedo still works in this case. Need to look into this method though as don't want to disturb original wiring, would like to make it plug and play somehow.

Hi Ben
I think it disables the ABS as well but if you want it as a temporary track fix that doesn't matter.
Barry

tuonokid said:
[post]347516[/post] Hi Ben
I think it disables the ABS as well but if you want it as a temporary track fix that doesn't matter.
Barry

Indeed :wink:

On a standard Puma the TC & Brake Bias are all controlled by the ABS module. If you put a switch on the ABS you also disable the braking bias. My ABS doesn't work and also feels like the braking bias is way too far forward as well as it squirms a lot under extreme hard braking (like nearly locking up the wheels at 90mph+). ~Therefore I think its true that it also disables braking bias.

I didn't realise it has Traction Control! Well, that certainly doesn't work as it spins up the wheels in the wet in 2nd gear on a pretty much standard engine.

BTW... VERY... VERY nice Puma. :wink:

The traction control only works at low speeds, I'm guessing up to something like 20mph. Maybe even less but it's there just to help with setting off in slippery conditions.

Milkie said:
[post]347554[/post
BTW... VERY... VERY nice Puma. :wink:

TC just applies the brake on whichever wheel is spinning. Not sure about the brake bias not working - not noticed much squirming under braking. I thought the ABS unit was just a block with the pump, so shouldn't affect brake bias? Maybe I'm wrong.

Hi Ben
I think it will affect brake bias as with the ABS you shouldn't be able to lock up a brake but without?????
Barry
PS Our cars are probably over braked at the rear with the disc set up.

Yea, I think you're right Barry. However I do prefer the rear discs as it doesn't seem feel like the car lurches forward so much. Not only that but better to look at and easier to service :)

Hi Ben
Yeah rear discs rule, especially with big wheels that's why I went for the 280s off the ST170 and as you say lots easier to service and less likely to fail :thumbs:
Barry

tuonokid said:
[post]347595[/post] Hi Ben
Yeah rear discs rule, especially with big wheels that's why I went for the 280s off the ST170 and as you say lots easier to service and less likely to fail :thumbs:
Barry

I actually went to rear discs on both my Ka and the Puma when I needed to service the drums. Instead of learning how to service a drum brake I decided it was easier to do a rear disc conversion :lol:

g-whizz said:
[post]347602[/post] Can't add anything at all to this except my admiration for your work! :eek:k:

Thanks Greg :)

It's mostly unnecessary information unless you do it for a living or service your own car.

My intention is to do disc conversions on both the Puma and Civic but unfortunately I can't find any that are free. So instead I just have to spend a couple of hours swearing and throwing spanners around every now and again.

tuonokid said:
[post]347585[/post] Hi Ben
I think it will affect brake bias as with the ABS you shouldn't be able to lock up a brake but without?????
ABS module is responsible for brake bias as well. IIRC puma was the first Ford to get electronic brake distribution. If you disable ABS, then you are switching off the brake distribution as well. If you plan on taking down ABS altogehter, you should get brake distribution valve to get the balance right (as Depeche Mode would say :) )

TC works only at speeds below 40 kph (maybe 50, but I think it is 40 kph). You can test in in snow at taking off. It is not very clever system as it only applies brakes (since it has cable operated throottle it can't turn the engine down as with FBW throttle). It was also a first for Ford.

Is is such a big issue if the brake bias is off? The abs doesn't work on mine (st170 full set up) and I don't feel it adversely affects my driving. Is it something you would only notice on track?

Hi Emma
Brake bias is really important as if it's out you can lose the back or front end(depending on which is overbraked).
Barry

Good information Sinisa, thanks.

ArtfulHussy said:
[post]347627[/post] Is is such a big issue if the brake bias is off? The abs doesn't work on mine (st170 full set up) and I don't feel it adversely affects my driving. Is it something you would only notice on track?

Both myself and Barry have the full ST170 setup with (me recently obviously) ABS working, so it should be possible to get yours working again.

I've never bothered to investigate the issue although I do believe its a sensor/wiring issue as the ABS worked before I put everything on. Car is SORN now anyway so no matter :(

Back