Newbie - First attempts.. first Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanie-d

Dear all,
Kind of a newbie/detailing post here as it's my first contribution to the board but I have been lurking since I got my Puma in March. It is a 2001 (Y) Black with leather interior... and I have to say I could never have imagined just how obsessed I have become with this car of mine.

I have been blown away with evilrob's detailing post and have been plotting and planning to get the Carlack68 kit and give it a go myself. Well, I got it all last week and have been grabbing every spare moment since to transform my baby.. finally completing earlier today. See below...

01.jpg

1b.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

For the record, I don't have any experience when it comes to detailing and the like - bar a once a year clean with Triplewax with my old car(!) - shameful I know.

Products used here were -

Car-Lack 68 Shampoo
Bilt-Hamber Auto-clay SOFT
Car-Lack 68 Nano Systematic Care Cleanser/Polish - on a damp microfibre pad
Car-Lack 68 Long Life Sealant also on a damp pad
+ a little bottle of Tropical Dodo Juice - which I haven't actually used yet but it does smell nice.

I'm extremely pleased with the results and found the Carlack stuff a breeze to use.

The car has been a dream - bizarrely it reminds me of my Mini driving days, in that you really feel connected to the road and it's LOTS of fun. I suppose a rocket-powered-sports-Mini kinda sums it up. I'm Loving it... and it just couldn't be shiny enough.

Only a couple of problems - the air con, I discovered last week produces a pool of clear fluid in the passenger footwell after prolonged use - which I can avoid by turning AC on and off in bursts. I really thought I was in luck after reading about the typical rust issues as mine seemed to be super clean but I noticed today that some small bubbles have started to form around the driver side rear arch dammit! :-(
I found a PDF tutorial on cutting out 3 inches of metal and re-welding a new panel in but is there a less extreme method of dealing with it at an early stage?, could a garage do this and how much would I expect to pay? - Any advice would be welcomed.

Anyway, enough ranting - very glad to be here and thanks for your time. :grin:

beanie-d said:
............ - the air con, I discovered last week produces a pool of clear fluid in the passenger footwell after prolonged use - which I can avoid by turning AC on and off in bursts.

If it's not the usual rain leaking through failed seals, IIRC, the passenger side of the aircon has an outlet tube that passes through the bodywork to exhaust the condensation outside. This tube can either get detached internally, or blocked (causing the same effect). Reconnect the tube if it is detatched, and make sure the tube is clear, using a flexible wire.

Wow... what an utterly fantastic job! Breathtaking reflections. :thumbs:

Glad to have helped someone else discover the delights of Car-Lack 68 NSC/LLS - it's amazing stuff isn't it? A doddle to use and doesn't cost a fortune either, which is always nice.

When I detailed my car to try and get her looking presentable for the Project Puma stand at Fiesta in the Park in May, I used some different products again - Bilt-Hamber Cleanser Polish, Poorboys Black Hole Glaze, topped with Autoglym HD Wax. Took longer than the Car-Lack combo, more waiting around for each stage to haze, lots more buffing and cost more - probably still wasn't as shiny as yours!!

Bit jealous actually. :p Top work!

Thanks for the responses folks. :grin:

YOG: - Thanks for the advice, I shall look into this and see if I can get it sorted.

Y0ungn1ck & evilrob: - Thanks for your kind comments!
Rob, praise indeed from the master of shine! I've been wondering whether to go for an Autoglym HD Wax treatment on top but will be saving my pennies for the moment as my next £50 is going on some floor mats.

Woke up to find a bird poo on the passenger wing this morning - nice.

EvilRobs like that congratulations one minute, the next thing you know he's out in the shadows jealously throwing bird shit around :roll:

quest63 said:
EvilRobs like that congratulations one minute, the next thing you know he's out in the shadows jealously throwing bird shit around :roll:

lol... I wondered what that was setting the security lights off last night!

Nice Black :eek:k:
quest63 said:
I hear police have released a photofit.
:-D :-D
evil-monkey.png

Apparently he won a detailing competition recently.Mysteriously everyboy elses wax and polish had become contaminated with bat guano :shock: :shock:

Latest posts

Back