Rally car reshell

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1374872_10201579539123552_1392985856_n.jpg

Anyone got a spare fusebox lid???

Got an MOT today so got the tax :x and am legal! Great driving it about a bit although it's a bitch up to 4000 rpm. The timing's out a bit but I'm changing the camshafts anyway so will get that sorted then and a tune up on the rolling road. The tracking is out too so you're either struggling with the engine not pulling cleanly at low revs or fighting the steering when the power comes on - quite entertaining.

Still when the power kicks in and everything starts working, it puts a smile on your face even though it's not properly sorted. Makes a great noise :grin:

Just read your thread. Car looks spot on and nice and tidy job. I am building a 1700 tarmac car so may ask you a few questions in the coming months! Feel free to pm me about the diff.

bluezak said:
I have the tape on the steering wheel of my puma too :D haha

Doesn't stop me getting confused when exiting a slippy corner where I've been busy with the wheel and still have a complete turn wound on but am expecting to go straight. That's happened more than once... :oops:

Andrew Hebron said:
bluezak said:
I have the tape on the steering wheel of my puma too :D haha

Doesn't stop me getting confused when exiting a slippy corner where I've been busy with the wheel and still have a complete turn wound on but am expecting to go straight. That's happened more than once... :oops:

Same, when the back ends stepping out, the wheel is the last thing I look at. Love your spoiler. Might have to do a few aesthetic bits to mine to make it look anywhere as nice as yours, mine has been in the barrier once, both front wings are bent and the drivers door from an autograss special trying to come through it haha.

Right then; a bit of an update...

Loads of bits'n'pieces done. The major item being getting some cams made by David Newman to get the engine to be less top end / high power and more mid-range / usable power. I have now just been to Northampton Motorsport's rolling road for mapping and came out with 170BHP whcih is down from 200BHP but the power now arrives much earlier.

1888707_10202466257170949_1650834702_n.jpg

It's still got some fireworks...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202652191619194

The cams and mapping have transformed it; where it used to get bogged down, it now just pulls smoothly all the way to 8500rpm. Other things - dead pround of my quick-release jack holder contraption:

10003439_10202662362473459_1890495215_n.jpg

And feeling it must be almost finished with the Monit computer fitted:

1606880_10202662361753441_253820623_n.jpg

Main things left:

1. change the springs (means sending the fronts to Proflex!) and then get the ride height and tracking sorted
2. finsh off a load of wiring jobs
3. get it MSA logbooked
4. get it rally ready - and go and test it

Andrew Hebron said:
1. change the springs (means sending the fronts to Proflex!) and then get the ride height and tracking sorted

Car looks spot on - whens its first event ?

Really ? You cant swap springs by just splitting the damper from the casing ?

Ziggy said:
Really ? You cant swap springs by just splitting the damper from the casing ?
You're supposed to be able to undo it at the bottom and take the bottom spring pan off, but they modified the struts to fit the FRP hubs so I didn't think I could - speaking to Proflex today, though, they reckon I still can which would be a relief; I'll be investigating.

Ziggy said:
Car looks spot on - whens its first event ?
Not sure yet; am looking forward to doing some SVs but will take it for a shakedown / play first.

Car is looking good Andrew. I have just started building my car so been busy stripping and replacing the worn out parts. It's booked in to get the cage fitted in 5 weeks and looking to do a sv as a shake down before Mull in October.
Can I just ask what length and lbs springs are you useing?

Graeme

mrbushrat said:
Can I just ask what length and lbs springs are you useing?
Graeme,

That's the last problem to solve. I'm plumping for 230lb front and 110lb rear, but haven't worked out the length vs compression under bodyweight vs ride height yet. The car is currently too high (6cm higher than FRP standard at the front) on 12in springs, but I don't know what rating those springs are. I may have to get them tested so I know where I'm starting from. I want to avoid getting coilbound at all costs.

This is everything I want in a puma. :wub:

Looking forward to lots of post rally reviews (and in car footage maybe? Please? Pretty, pretty please?).

ArtfulHussy said:
This is everything I want in a puma. :wub:

Looking forward to lots of post rally reviews (and in car footage maybe? Please? Pretty, pretty please?).

Well I'll try to walk the fine line between providing updates and boring everyone to death. In-car camera being installed...watch this space -----> [ s p a c e ]

BTW, weren't you threatening to build one yourself a while back??

are you running front proflex,if so are you using a front anti roll bar

juzzo said:
are you running front proflex,if so are you using a front anti roll bar

Yes, and yes - when I've worked out how to attach it; probably with a rose joint onto the bottom arm. I assume that wasn't a random question and you've got another set-up?

Latest posts

Back