Rear Wheel Arch Repair Panels - Suffering Rusty Arches?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ianv5 said:
Has anybody used peugeot 206 front wings instead? Quick search on ebay and about 30 quid delivered each.

I was planning to use them until these came along, for me the labour charges to chop the 206 wings up will probably be greater than the cost difference here.

Ok, took some pics of the actual repair panels, and offered them up to the car.

Reararchrepairpanels001.jpg

Reararchrepairpanels002.jpg

Reararchrepairpanels005.jpg

Reararchrepairpanels004.jpg

They are essentially a piece of steel sheet, with the curved edge rolled around. There are full instructions on what needs doing to them to fit, but I haven't translated them from German yet.

With the exception of the first inch or so from the bumper, they seem to follow the curve of the puma's rear arch quite nicely, however these panels are flat, and the side of the puma isn't, so some degree of skill will be required to make them fit, and not look crap. This is probably true of any repair panel though, especially where, like on the Puma, there isn't a pronounced arch shape.

If anyone has any more questions, I will do my best to answer.

Showed these panels to my local body repair man today, he was impressed with the quality of the panel, would have been better if is was better shaped, i.e. curved, but that shouldn't be a huge problem to make it fit.

Hoping to get it booked in some time in March, but all looks good so far.

Keep me posted, just doing some cosmetic work at the moment where paint has bubbled, already had filler paint etc from previous project. Good for practicing my painting skills as panel will be chopped in the spring. have noticed that the arches have been repaired before, just with filler as paint work is not that good. I just wondered if there are any Pumas out there that have never had any work done on the rear arches and still look good! Will post some piccies when I find out how!

touch wood, my passenger side arch is fine, but my drivers side has had a couple of repairs and it keeps coming back.

Local body guy said if usually charges 300 for an arch, however he will do mine for 200 because I have had probs go the part.

I wonder if those arches are a good fit, and easy enough to blend in with the body curve. If it's possible that someone will be able to use one as a template and get more fabricated? Could be hell of a lot cheaper that way, if we can source the correct grade steel.

Given the curve, etc. I doubt it would be worthwhile getting copies made. Aside from that, this chap in Germany has already gone to the hassle of getting these made, seems a bit unfair to him to just copy his design. Suppose it will depend on what kind of deal he can do as a group buy.

I am planning on getting mine done some time next month, will be able to report back then. I would reiterate however that my body guy was really impressed with the quality of the steel.

Got my arches done + touching up a scratch on my bonnet for £170. Not bad :-D Don't you think. Whether or not the rust will reappear soon is the question :-(

I paid 300 quid plus vat for my rear arches to be de-rusted. Body shop guy ground out the rust and filled with weld before re-painting the whole rear quarter panels. Great job... but how long it will be before the rust re-appears is another matter. think replacing the panels completely is the only way to go really.

I am down for a group buy, hopfully this summer i would like my car to look as good as my dads ST, so i would need a pair off these to make my rear arches look sparkly and clean + obv new.

Scott AKA Burger Boy might get his done before me, but I am hoping to get mine done soon.

Will keep this updated.

Got to much suspension work on mine to worry about rust but i'm watching this thread closely for when i do it in the future

Hello Everyone,
Been a bit busy recently so not been online, I have finally got the arches done and they look great !!! The bodyshop had a problem with the inner arch being rusty as well when they set to chopping out. So need a bit of extra welding.

Also had the rear Sparco mudflaps fitted with less than 1" gap from the road, Retro Look !!!! and the front bumper re-sprayed.

The car just needs to go back in for the front bonnet vents to be fitted and sprayed, and the front mudflaps (Just trying to get an old ford bracket off another car that will be suitable for a good fit).

Then the dreaded MOT on the 20th July 2010, need to sort out the ABS/ Traction due to the lights coming on after a heavy track day session.

Just been in touch with DMB Graphic's who has just supplied me with "Ford Racing" stickers for the Mudflaps. When their move is completed, I'm looking at having the original Ford Tiger Stripe design on my the Puma.

When I have a minute I will post some pic's, but can safely say that the arches from Germany are spot on !!!!

I'm also going to Cadwell on the 15th July 2010, evening trackday session with Javalin Trackdays if anyone else fancys coming down.

All the best
Scott

Son has bought a good puma except for what sounds like the usual problem rear arches, are there no suppliers in the UK for panels to repair yet!

Latest posts

Back