100,000 miles

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex_89

This morning on the way to work, my little car ticked over the 100,000 mile mark. I don't know if I should be happy we've got here without a single problem or if I should be worried that I'm now in the high mile danger zone.

I know there's been the thread on the highest milage Puma, with quite a few being over the mark, but has anyone reported any problems once going over this point?

Cheers

Alex

I would fairly confidently predict that if you are doing an average 10,000 - 12,000 miles a year the tin worm will kill the car long before the engine dies.

Agreed. Just stay on top of the oil level, as some 1.7 engines do like a drink...

Neil said:
Agreed. Just stay on top of the oil level, as some 1.7 engines do like a drink...

The motor was being used on 10W40 oil but my mechanic friend changed it to 5W30 for me. I didn't think it was the best thing to do but his Ford knowledge is unbeatable so I left him to it!

I'm aiming for 150,000 at least. I'm doing my best to look after it so only time will tell :grin:

alex_89 said:
The motor was being used on 10W40 oil but my mechanic friend changed it to 5W30 for me. I didn't think it was the best thing to do but his Ford knowledge is unbeatable so I left him to it!

Most European Fords run on 5W-30, but it is particulary important to use it in the 1.7, as the VCT is operated by hydraulic action, and higher viscosity oils are not recommended.

mine clocked 100k bout 6 months back and now on around 103 and its been fine,had majority of the problems between say 80 to 90 but trivial stuff little coolant leak,new discs n pads few suspension bits n pieces.as people say put the oil checking at the top of the list and you should be ok.working in the motor trade its the things like electrical going wrong that surprise you,they dont give any warning.like a brake light bulb one press fine,next press popped

Back