2001 1.7 Medium Steel Blue in Derby

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian_Fearn

Unfortunately it’s been decided we need a car with rear doors hence (very regrettably) Tigger is for sale and a V6 Omega is joining us on Saturday.

It’s a 1.7 and has had 3 owners but basically ‘1 previous’ owner as I bought it off the original owner and then we moved it into my lass’s name to keep her unused no claims going.

The car has spent all summer living in sunny Spain. It drove there and back without hesitation and was an absolute ball to drive even filled with camping gear and bikes on the roof! (roof rack not included!)

Here’s some snaps from the holiday:

I’ve got its history, bought new from Dixon Ford in Rotherham and serviced by the first owner as follows (stamped in the original Ford service book):
3/7/02 11080 miles (Dixon Ford)
10/7/02 20862 miles (Dixon Ford)
21/6/05 37741 miles (Dixon Ford)
20/6/06 45400 miles (Dixon Ford)
29/6/11 74370 miles (local garage)

The car had clearly been looked after so whether the book wasn’t stamped or a few services were missed I’ve no idea.

I then took on the car and have over the last couple of years given it a going over, most bits were genuine Ford items:

29/9/11 75296 miles (Cambelt, water pump and aux belt fitted, all genuine Ford items)
1/10/11 75324 miles (Oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, pollen filter)
6/4/12 79789 miles (Oil and filter, air filter, new heater valve, spark plugs, cam cover gasket)
28/11/12 82250 miles (Powerflex rear suspension beam bushes, rear dampers and springs changed)
8/12/12 82900 miles (Clutch changed, 3 part LUK Focus 1.8 upgrade)
19/12/12 83051 miles (Front discs and pads changed)
2/3/12 83740 miles (Rear brake shoes changed, rear wheel bearings cleaned and regreased)
April 2013 Complete exhaust system (Bosal)
April 2013 4x Dunlop Sport BlueResponse tyres (new)

It’s done about 91k now.

It runs fantastically, starts from cold with no nasty noises and still happily flies through the revs in that silky VCT way. The gearbox is super tight and precise with the clutch being smooth and light as you’d expect given it’s less than 10k old.

It’s awesome in winter with the heated windscreen (working!) and fantastic heater. It’s got ice cold air con to clear the mist and keep you cool in summer. The interior is tidy. Both owners non smokers and no evidence of pets. Its got extended quilted alcantara headrests that actually support your head but these can be removed if you want.

Electric windows (passenger side gone sticky this week but probably through lack of use), mirrors, CD player (I have an Ipod Connects2 unit by separate negotiation). 2 keys, the remote one probably needs new batteries. Was working on the way out to Spain but packed up on the way back.

Climair front wind deflectors and all round mudflaps.

So down to its bad points. The bodywork isn’t the best. I put a new rear arch on the drivers side so its rust free, straight and fully waxoyled but where the old paint joins the new the lacquer was clearly different so there’s a bloomy band along the rear quarter panel, I wrote it up on RetroRides http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/132638/fearnys-motors-used-latest-betvictor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. There are also various dents and scrapes. It cleans up ok though and doesn’t disgrace the neighbourhood! It’s very solid underneath and doesn’t need any welding there. The other side rear arch is starting to bubble.

So if you’re looking for a minter, look elsewhere or be prepared to get a paint gun out.

The other bad point is that the front suspension has started to knock mostly under left hand bends (noise from drivers side arch). A drop link is my guess and it doesn’t affect the drive.

I appreciate this is not a perfect car but it has plenty of life left in it and other than the front suspension, its mechanically and bodily sound.

Whilst it uses a little oil, its not excessive and uses no water. No warning lights. ABS and airbag working correctly.

Considering I’ve spent a good few quid on it I’d love to get £550 back for it but I appreciate its not the worlds best Puma. MOT till 15th April (no advisories at the last one either), tax till feb.

Try http://www.omegaowners.com,im" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; still a member on there,very helpful and great advice,like this forum is,i used to own a 2.6 mv6,and might be again by the weekend :)

Thanks, might need their advice. I wasn't looking for an Omega, just needed more doors to help with elderly relatives and a work colleague was selling his. Very different to the Puma though :?

Latest posts

Back