A naughty knob

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj2013

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271344594387&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160

This must be one of the fake ones that people had made up

$_12.JPG

Can't find anywhere to 'report' these on the listing now :-(

Someone might end up paying a stupid amount for a fake

report link is on the right ... where there is the description and postage/payments tab is to the right there is a print then a report item link.

Hi,
I have a genuine knob no.221/1500. The ingraving of the Puma logo and serial number is actually white on the rear of a domed plastic insert that is countersunk into the alloy knob that makes it spherical. The gear gate configeration and numbers are as a standard Puma. Checking ebay a knob identical to that was sold by auction on 1st August.
Regards,
Richard Mansfield.

I have two of these, this one isn't genuine for several reasons

Here's a real one:

$T2eC16F,!ygE9s7HHg1pBR,q8BCdc!~~60_35.JPG

Note the '/1500' to indicate the number of 'knobs produced.

The puma logo engraving is 'lighter' as is almost scratched on rather than engraved, as the engraving is in the perspex (see below) not the 'knob I believe.

$T2eC16R,!yME9s5qHBPLBRd+KzJ21Q~~60_35.JPG

Additionally, the cutout is shielded behind rounded perspex to maintain the spherical shape of the 'knob

These are very rare! I believe they were presented to the first purchasers of Ford Pumas at a launch event. I don't know how many were made, but this one is numbered '0208' and you never see them for sale.

He's acknowledged it isn't any other kind, and the reason he doesn't know how many were made is because it's a fake and the number run isn't on the knob :wink: You see them for sale often, just not fake ones

Unlike standard knobs, this limited edition version also has a flat face on the front (with beautiful fine milling grooves) with the 'Puma' signature logo and the numbers '0208' in matching colour

The genuine run don't have a '0' at the start, nor is it flat faced (as per the perspex doming)

madhillbilly17 said:
i don't get this why would anyone want to buy a knob that has a number on it which is for another car :roll:

They weren't given out for particular cars (the 1500 run), they were given to the first 1500 people who ordered a Puma in the UK and attended something at Oulton Park I believe.

That looks like one of the ones that Pumabuild offered for FRPs, so I wouldn't say it's fake, just that the seller doesn't have the correct information.

That would also be why it starts with a leading zero as this is how FRPs are numbered. So its likely from FRP 0208 I'd have thought and purchased post sale.

cj2013 said:
madhillbilly17 said:
i don't get this why would anyone want to buy a knob that has a number on it which is for another car :roll:

They weren't given out for particular cars (the 1500 run), they were given to the first 1500 people who ordered a Puma in the UK and attended something at Oulton Park I believe.

oh i see lol,i still wouldn't want one :p looks uncomfortable too

Cherie said:
That looks like one of the ones that Pumabuild offered for FRPs, so I wouldn't say it's fake, just that the seller doesn't have the correct information.

I'm not suggesting that the item doesn't exist, purely that selling it as a genuine 'first edition' gearknob, as he describes, is incorrect as it isn't one of those which was "presented to the first purchasers of Ford Pumas at a launch event".

In this instance, it fits what madhillbilly is saying "a knob that has a number on it which is for another car".

Madhillbilly17 said:
oh i see lol,i still wouldn't want one :p looks uncomfortable too

The cut off section is covered by perspex so it's still perfectly round (on the genuine ones).

This particular one is probably quite uncomfortable without that, though!

quest63 said:
It reeks of Knob envy to me :-D

Definitely

Thing is, some of us like knobs. Other people's knobs.

We spend our free time looking for someone else's special knob to rest our left hand on, or to simply look at.

We have searches saved so that, should a 16 year old special knob be available, we can lay claim to that knob.

This isn't a 16 year old Knob - it's a wannabe.

Bentleya said:
It seems to be a lot of flap over nothing in here, :?

Not so much. Lots of people are into collecting automobilia, dogsbody has a few of the numbered knobs for example, and they can go for good money.

Wouldn't want someone to pay over the odds for a gearknob that is by no means significant from a collector's point of view. It's not what it's described to be, basically.

Latest posts

Back