About to buy a Puma 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micheal x

Hi project Puma I'm going to buy a 2001 ford 1.7 Puma today 71,000 from the last service report 08/11/13 these where the recommendations:

- Rear brake pipe corroded needs replacement
- Front wish bone bushes split
- New clutch needed

I noticed this myself:
- Cambelt will need to be changed
- Air con will need regassing
- Also when I was checking the car the AC was making a load noise

Can anyone advise a approximate price of the work that will need to be done?

The lady owner ( who has owned it for 6 years) says she was unaware that it needed to be serviced in intervals (she thought the MOT) was a service so the last time it was serviced was last year and when she bought it 6 years ago. She is the 4th owner

Thank you in advance

Rear brake disc? did you mean rear this is a modification if you did as they have drums as standard unless they are a ford racing puma.

Prices are who you know and how hard you shop for bits and which bits you buy so its all a guess really but

Clutch around £350 fitted
Cambelt around £350 to include cambelt, cambelt tensioner, auxiliary belt, rocker cover gasket
Wishbone bush its probably easier and cheaper just to change the wishbone / wishbones maybe £40 pr to buy.

Oh and Welcome aboard :thumbs:

Thank you apparently I've been told its the rear break pipe which is corroded according to the paper work.

I'm loving the Puma, I acquired it for my partner but I love driving it definitely going to make it better!!!

Congratulations and welcome!

New wishbones will sharpen things up. It am be worth doing the ARB bushes and drop links at the same time (they're cheap). You'll probably want the tracking doing after the wishbones.

Rear beam bushes also worth doing if they're vintage, which they probably are. Pain of a job but well worth it.

The Puma is an addictive motor.. I'm on my 3rd! :thumbs:

And welcome :eek:k:

With regards to the work, it's pretty much what Quest said. I do all my own work so that does keep thee costs down.. a lot.

If someone on here is local to you they may be able to assist.

all relatively cheap jobs if you can tinker yourself and have a friendly mechanic who can do the belt correctly, but hopefully meant car was peanuts, they are addictive fun cars, I love mine.

Micheal x said:
I'm going to use the Puma to get me more educated on car mechanics.
That's half the reason I got one. It's paid dividends as I 'saved' my wife's Honda from killing its new cat. The Puma is a great car to learn on, as most of the bits are still available at reasonable prices. It's also pretty simple I work on - most jobs can be done solo with a little swearing!

Upon further inspection there was a engine leak, the indicator stalk needs to be changed and the passengers mirror needs to be changed. I will also have to patch up the body paint.

I got the cambelt and leak sorted for a good price.

I've noticed that the ride is very bumpy on roads with speed humps alot more so than my golf. Could anyone advise what the cause is as well as a solution? I am aware that the front wishbone bushes are split.

Back