ABS Warning Light

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryHendo

Hey! Was driving to work this morning, and about half way through the 8 mile journey, the ABS warning light came on, no idea why, i was crappin myself!

The only thing that happened on the trip was, i was comin off a busy roundabout in 1st gear, and it was raining so there was a little bit of wheel spin, the front of the car was juddering, like it was getting and loosing grip. Thats the only thing that wasnt normal.

If someone could give me some advice on what to do :-( that would be great guys!

The only thing that happened on the trip was, i was comin off a busy roundabout in 1st gear, and it was raining so there was a little bit of wheel spin, the front of the car was juddering, like it was getting and loosing grip.

That sounds like your ABS trying to work. Wait 'til you try in in snow... Bloody useless piece of technology! :evil: lol

Have you been back in the since this morning? You may find that restarting, and letting it do it's self test thing will clear the light.

I know this might sound daft - but does your car have ABS? Some of the 1.4s didn't that's all.

Probably a dirty sensor.

When my sensor on 1.4 went it came on now and then, then everntually was on at all times. Tried to clean it, advice from Dal , many thanks, but still no luck.

Needed replacing in the end, as its an MOT failure I think.

Was a pretty cheap job to put right

Yeah it does have ABS, well atleast i think it does, the wheels have never locked up on me in the time ive had it! Its just after that roundabout it came on, its done the juddering thing before, but its been really wet and horrible up in Aberdeenshire these past couple of days and flooding on the main roads, so im guessing aswell that it would be the sensor.... but emm yeah where abouts is this sensor :grin: ??

Thanks for the help btw guys!

2 at the front, 2 at the back:

The rear ones are next to the shaft:
(the shiny bit to the rear of the car)
[albumimg]1286[/albumimg]

The front ones are easy to see form under the car:
(Behind the brake disc)
[albumimg]523[/albumimg]

The sensor "looks" at serrated targets. Sometimes the face of the sensor gets gunked up with all manner of crap so it can't "see" the serrations. I had it recently when the brake pad material on the rears had covered the rear sensor in a thick layer of crap making it mis-read. A clean over and all was well.

Whilst your at it, make sure the cables from the sensor into the car (around the wheels and movable bits) are free from breaks / chaffing etc in case the wire has broken.

Thank you so so so so so so much :grin:

I shall be doing that on Saturday, not got any driving to do till then, hopefully the weather is better cause its been raining for 3 days solid haha!

Thanks again guys!

My 1.4 has ABS too, and grumbles on very very wet roads turning into roundabouts (usually too quick but its fun) :) Glad you brought it up Harry - I was wondering how to clean the beggers! Nice thing to have though, I'd hate to lock up on the roads near me!

Latest posts

Back