ABS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielz000

Hi guys,

The traction control and ABS light have come on on my puma, does anyone know if there's a way to reset the lights? If not, would the dash error code readings load up ABS problems?

Background is as follows:

Changed the rear brakes but had to cut the ABS sensor off, the rear sensors have now been replaced with a sensor I ordered from eBay. Prior to replacing the sensor I had to start and move the car which may have triggered the lights...

Also, I've recently changed the front suspension arms and CV joints. I don't think I decapitated any abs sensors in the process but it's not impossible...

I've tried detaching the battery for a few minutes and taking the car for a quick drive up and down the road (hit about 20mph).

Any advice?

Cheers,

Dan

Edit: The ABS self test didn't seem to trigger when I started the car.

Checked fuses 30 to 34 and tried leaving the battery off for 30 minutes. Still no luck.

The dash error codes only show up a small number of codes that relate to the clocks only,you need a proper code reader to turn the light off or the sensor is a dodgy one

Got an obd reader. No errors on the car and clearing the errors made no difference. Front sensors are still in tact and return 1050 ohms and 1080 ohms.

Is there any reason the car wouldn't be doing a self test? It seems it's possible that the sensors might not be working correctly but surely the car would try the self test if it detects the sensors are in place...

Since you already have an OBD reader, download Forscan (http://www.forscan.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It is free and run a live speed monitoring of each wheel. That way you will know right away what is the system reading from the car's wheels and you will have all the answers.
From expirience, the sensors could be ok, but the spacing to the tone rings might be to big and it will trigger ABS light in instrument cluster. The proper gap is 0,6 mm (the tolerance field covers gaps from 0,2 - 0,8 mm).

Run that live monitoring test with Forscan and it will tell you everything

Thanks mate. The reader I have is a stand alone hand held one. Is forscan for use with the Bluetooth obd readers? Maybe the reader I have can read wheel speed some how...

If not would the multimeter and spinning the wheel be of any use?

Can you think of any reason the self test would be falling to trigger when the car starts moving? Although everything was working fine before I did the work I wonder if the I've blown the ABS pump or something. No idea if that's possible...

Edit: I've just ordered a ELM327 reader but would love to try and get this sorted today

The ABS will not self test if one of the sensors is not detected (before moving).
I would advise you check the fronts. Measure the resistance as you have done the rears, and check the connectors (up under the wings) are OK.
Paul

Thanks for all the help guys. In the end I took a volt reading of the front whilst spinning them by hand. Got 0.2 volts. Then I did the back and one was 0 and the other was about 0.1 volts. I took the brakes apart again and then realised the sensors were sitting too far back. I think the dirt and rust made the hole too tight (I couldn't get one of the old sensors out for love nor money) and so the sensor wasn't far enough forward.

Ended up with some sand paper wrapped around a drill bit and poked into the hole to clear it up. Refitted everything and got 0.2 from the rear sensors too.

So for future reference, the self check not only has to detect all four sensors it also has to detect movement on them before it fires.

Back