Ambitious ICE head unit rebuild

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamski789

Hi, long time lurcher, first time poster.

I'm looking to change the current standard Ford headunit 6000CD to the newer Sony headunit found in the 06 onwards Fiesta/Focus/C-max/Mondeo etc. Apart from hacking up the dash to fit the new one, and getting it to fit - I was wondering if I could just simply rewire the old cables onto the new connections/plug (as they are completely different shapes to the old).

Does anyone know or have any info on how this would run? The reason I ask is because I think CAN-bus might be my enemy here, I've read on the Mondeo forums that people have fitted the 6CD Sony into the older MK3 before the facelift in 03, and I believe they had CAN-bus too. Anyone believe this would be possible?

any input would be great! Cheers.

If your changing the CD, i'd just stick to buying a decent quality standard DIN model... integrating a newer ford item with an old wiring loom sounds like far more hassle than it's worth TBH...

Sony make some cracking models that fit very neatly and 'flush' around the iso adapter.. i'd go that route :grin:

:cool:

martinthrapston said:
iirc its not compatible with early fords :eek:k:

This is what I've heard also, but I want to know why that is, and I can't seem to find it unfortunately.

Also recommending headunits aside, I know it's an easy swap, I've done it many times but I really fancied a new challenge and wanted to be original.

Back