America

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cartman

So it's once again time for the wife and I to plan one of our "epic" wacatios, since my wife was on disabilety leave for hear sholder last year, we didn't get to much wacation pay, so this year we only took a tiny wacation, shure, we went to gran canaria, and we are going to turkey in a week, but nothing like last years europe tripp :/

but anyway, we are currently planing a tripp to the us of a, yepp, we are going to murica :)

the plan is to land in new york, go to niagara fals, pas trough canada to chicago, take route 66 to san fransisco, take the 101 down to los angeles, posebly stop by tijuana mexico, hed over to las vegas, then to huston, on to orlando, miami, back up trough washington dc, and return home from new york.

We intend to do this in 2 weeks, but we may be as much as 3, this hasent been desided yet.

we have picked out a hole host of sights to se, but we are also asking around to anyone who has a good idea for things to do over there :)

So if anyone has ever been there, and has any tips for us on everything from survival, motels, hotels, sights food and sutch, pleace let me know :)

Thanx
Adrian :D

I think that itinerary is a little ambitious, even for three weeks. An awful lot of travel, you'll spend most of your time in airport lounges.

From experience, you do need three days for New York really.

i agree with the above will be a lot of traveling... i just depends how much time you want to spend where and what you want to do there... also don't forget the liberty bell in Philadelphia (ps a Philadelphia cheese steak sub is soooo good).

Maybe see a baseball game (you get the hang of the rules towards the end :lol:) or an American football game.

Food wise just remember one thing... everything is bigger portions for cheaper... well it was when i went last...

ethanfitz said:
(ps a Philadelphia cheese steak sub is soooo good)
Pat's King of Steaks is the best place to get a Philly Cheese Steak in Philadelphia (according to my mum who lives in Pennsylvania).

Also, the best burger on Route 66 is at Mr. D's Diner - not that I've tried them all, but I did have a burger there and it was incredible.

Try and do your trip "unchained" for an extra challenge!

Thanx guys :) we are planing on renting a car and drive everywhere. I'm also a little woried that there may be to little time, so there may be some dropouts, but that's what we'we come up whit so far :) our europe trip was also werry ambisous in the beginning, but we managed to squece itt down to London, Paris, and Rome. I'm thinking we may just do New york, san fransisco, los angeles, las vegas and miami, but we'l se, that's why I'm asking for tips :) and so far, the tips have been grate :)

If you're going to Las Vegas, you should nip out to see the Hoover Dam (45 minutes outside Las Vegas) and the Grand Canyon; might as well as it's only up the road*.

*relatively speaking - it's 4hrs and 20 minutes drive.

Not Miami!!

Go the extra mile (or so) and get yourself down to Key West.

That really is a special place

hehe, what is 4 hours in america? :) the grand canyon is on the list of things to do, I wanted to se the hoover dam, but the wife thought it was enough that I saw a picture of it :/ hehe.

smal sumary of the plans

Fly to
New yourk : statue of liberty, world trade center, empire state, flatiron building, brodway and 5th avenue, Gray's Papaya, carlos bacery in hoboken, the brooklyn bridge, grand central.

Then rent a car and drive to

Buffalo/cannada: Niagara falls, then to canada through London to chicago

Chicago: Gino's east, willis tower

Route 66: speaks for it selfe.

San fransisco: golden gate bridge, alcatraz, the trains that go up the hill :)

Los angeles: universal studios, holywood, and the star walk, swim in the pasific, Petersens automotive museum

Las vegas: the heartatack grill, the strip, belagio fountain, grand cannyon

Huston: Nasa space senter

Orlando: Disney world, Kenedy space senter, sea world,

Miami: swim in the carabian, miami ink?

washington: the monuments, and the white house, posebly the crime and punishment museum.

then back to JFK or Newark, depending on where we deside to land, and go home :)

but after hearing so much good about philly, I may have to conwince the wife that we have to stop trough there as wel :)

I actualy wnated to go to key west, we'll have to se if we don't change that :) thank you:)

warrenpenalver said:
Youd want a good month for that trip to make the most of it!!

Key west is nice. Miami isnt quite as good as the films portray!

Yea, I'm a little sceptical about the time frame to, a month would be to long, (althoug probably preferable) but we are seriously discusing 3 weeks :) and we may stil choose to drop some places, to get more time in others :) for exsample, I don't have to go to niagara fals, and chicago, but it would be fun to have been there, if you know what I mean :)

I reckon you should do New York (the usual things - Times Square, Central Park, Empire State Building, catch a show on Broadway, Statue of Liberty), drive to Pennsylvania (Liberty Bell, Rocky Statue, Cheese Steak) then fly to the west coast (quicker).

Then you can do San Fran (Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz etc), drive down to LA (Hollywood Sign / Walk of Fame, Universal Studios, Venice Beach/Santa Monica, Malibu, Beverley Hills/Rodeo Drive etc.) then drive to Vegas (what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas), while there do the Hoover Dam (you have to drive over it to get to the Grand Canyon anyway), stop off at Mr D's for the best burger you will ever have in your life in Kingman, then on to the Grand Canyon (or you can get a helicopter from Vegas to the Grand Canyon if you don't fancy the 4hr drive).

If you want a mental drive, you could drive through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas (Alamo, Houston Space Center) and squeeze in New Orleans (Bourbon Street, French Quarter) - great for seafood and music. Then onto Florida - if you're driving, it would be rude not to swing by Orlando for Disney World, then down to Key West.

There's no way you'd be able to drive it all.

Sound advice Rob, thank you.

I actualy sugested flying from east to west when we started planing, it was actualy werry cheep, way cheepr than renting a car anyway :)

But you know how girls can be :) luckely nothing is set in stone yet :) we're planing on july 2014, unless somone sujests a better month :)

Cartman said:
after hearing so much good about philly
Philly is an absolute shithole, but you haven't lived until you've had a proper Philly Cheese Steak!

Going up buildings in New York

Forget the Empire State. The queues can be mammoth and the view once you are up there doesn't include the Empire State Building (obviously)

Top tip is to do The Rockefeller Centre instead. Shorter queues and a much better view that includes the nearby Empire State and a much better sight of Central Park

I'm jealous, I was planning this sort of trip myself and should have been doing it as we speak but circumstances changed and the trip went out of the window :'(

Whatever you do and wherever you go I hope you all have a fantastic time :thumbs:

evilrob said:
There's no way you'd be able to drive it all.
I was planning more distance than the route you mapped out, NY start then east to west then south back to east and up to NY again :lol:

I did Spain to home non-stop apart from some strong coffee breaks and the ferry at Calais and that was a breeze......ish. I'd booked the ferry but arrived at Calais 2 days earlier than planned as I couldn't be arsed hanging around after a month away from home :lol:

Awww. That's to bad :( we are realy looking forward to this trip.

We'we calculated the driving time using google, and if we take the trip that is layed out, it wil be about 117 hours of driving :eek: wow, but we like driving, and seenig the country is a big part of why we wanted to go.

There may be some things that fal trough, bit no mater what, we're going :) we've taken it up from 14 to 16 days, from friday july 11 2014 :) stil need to work out some details, and there is stil the posebilety that the entire trip gets worked around differently....

Ok, so there has been some chamges already :)

As before we wil fly to new york, rent a car, and we are stil going to se the niagara falls, but we are ditching chicago, and instead we wil go back down to philladelphia, and washington, on to orlando, miami/key west, then upp through tampa, along the coast to huston, then las veas, popp by tijuana, to los angeles, then san fransisco, and fly home from there,

This wil save us over 40 hours of driving, yes it's a 12 hour round trip from ny to niagara, but we felt this was something we had to se, and it gives us the chanse to say we were in canada to :)

Back