Another hard day at the office

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIIVVX

As regulars know I spend part of my life working for an automotive company on industry events.

There wasn't a great deal of jealousy expressed when I was teaching Nissan staff about the DIG-S engine, nor the ins and outs of the Leaf.

This week I have been in Oxfordshire working on an event. I recce'd the routes a week ago and programmed up the Garmins. Then Tuesday I arrived a day ahead of the delegates to test the routes and modify, as required, the nav assistance.

I was not at all miffed when they allocated me a car with an inexplicable engine management light illuminated, so not usable on the event.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

5 litre V8.

488 bhp, 625 N-m.

I can't say I wasn't glad that the niggling issue which led to it being the 'spare' car arose. But the routes were a bit of an issue and I really didn't have time to appreciate it fully in the 120 miles or so I did, all within a 10 mile radius of the venue.

I don't enjoy convertibles, so used it roof-up, which had the added benefit of not allowing my scribbled notes to be cast to the four winds.

Lovely car, but not one I'd ever swap the 996 for.

XIIVVX said:
5 litre V8.

488 bhp, 625 N-m.

I can't say I wasn't glad that the niggling issue which led to it being the 'spare' car arose. But the routes were a bit of an issue and I really didn't have time to appreciate it fully in the 120 miles or so I did, all within a 10 mile radius of the venue.

I don't enjoy convertibles, so used it roof-up, which had the added benefit of not allowing my scribbled notes to be cast to the four winds.

Lovely car, but not one I'd ever swap the 996 for.

Wait for the Coupe and RS versions :p Coupe is already out and about testing in a certain area of the country.

The coupe will undoubtedly be an improvement.

I loved the V8 sounds, crisper and sharper than the woofly USA style V8s. And the crackling on the overrun, so FRP.

But it still didn't have the flat-six bark :)

Funny you should say that, as Jaguar and Land Rover both share their V8 engine with the Ford Mustang

Really? You are saying the the AJ133 V8 is shared with the Mustang? I thought the latter used the M-6007-T50EA

Whatever, the Jaguar engineers have done some serious work on the plumbing to create that gorgeous sound.

(Not that the Mustang doesn't sound great, but in a much different way)

You can still see the Ford stamps on things like the exhaust manifolds etc, they come crated up from Ford then Jaguar add their own ancillaries, the new RR Sport has a stealth mode that opens some flaps in the exhaust when it's switched off so I'm guessing the Jag is similar

XIIVVX said:
Really? You are saying the the AJ133 V8 is shared with the Mustang? I thought the latter used the M-6007-T50EA

Whatever, the Jaguar engineers have done some serious work on the plumbing to create that gorgeous sound.

(Not that the Mustang doesn't sound great, but in a much different way)

I love the way you can press a button on the X152 and alter the exhaust note. The V6 is a serious motor as well, more useable than the V8 in poor weather.
Yes the L494 and I believe the L405 have stealth mode.

cletus100 said:
I love the way you can press a button on the X152 and alter the exhaust note.

An option on the n/a 996, which mine has.

I have only once ever used it, this for a long, overnight motorway thrash.

Later in the day I took an Evoque whilst the F was being valeted for static display. That's not too shabby either.

XIIVVX said:
cletus100 said:
I love the way you can press a button on the X152 and alter the exhaust note.

An option on the n/a 996, which mine has.

I have only once ever used it, this for a long, overnight motorway thrash.

Later in the day I took an Evoque whilst the F was being valeted for static display. That's not too shabby either.

The Evoque is a good alrounder, from memory I think it has a wading depth the same as a Defender but handles a dam sight better on the road.

It certainly felt quite handy for a biggish car, but it wasn't as pleasant a driving experience as the full-fat Range Rovers. They really do waft along. (First time I'd driven a full-fat - or any - Range Rover since the 1980s)

Latest posts

Back