Anyone else done this?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems weird thought doesn't it that it will onyl do 5 miles to half a tank some times?

Its very strange- sometimes its great- sometimes its well crap

If you were doing that kind of distance, I'd say the tank probably has a hole in it (and not the one at the top!) :p

Lib- no thats just driving

Neil- Nope no hole- but it does drink heavily- and thats not when i choose tp wear my lead linned right boot

hate to be a smart arse but have you used tyre weld? it says first you must let all the air out of the tyre.....er....that means you need to be near an air pump or have one in the car! cheers! so i carry a small halfords one...

plus....due to the cost to the rac of so many new cars not having a spare they do not cover you if you dont have a spare! ie you get charged! its in the small print, i only noticed it by accident. just like if they get called out more than 3 times you start paying for it!

jacko said:
hate to be a smart arse but have you used tyre weld? it says first you must let all the air out of the tyre.....er....that means you need to be near an air pump or have one in the car! cheers! so i carry a small halfords one...

plus....due to the cost to the rac of so many new cars not having a spare they do not cover you if you dont have a spare! ie you get charged! its in the small print, i only noticed it by accident. just like if they get called out more than 3 times you start paying for it!

Can't you just press the valve to empty the tyre?

and what!?

my plan! my beautiful plan! damn small print :)

Scotty1.7 said:
Lib- no thats just driving

Neil- Nope no hole- but it does drink heavily- and thats not when i choose tp wear my lead linned right boot

Your fuel consumption ranges from 1 to 43 mpg!

Yes Lib- Yes it does

I have come to the conclusion my car is as confused as its owners is.

I have also come to the descion that my car could also be female- as it seems to have a 'monthly' issue, were by it drinks like George Best, then chooses to go almost tee total

haha init.

bin the wheel if you want a light weight toy along with all the other interior bits and air con etc or just leave it if you want a practical motor.

mine has been binned and if i have an issue I will be ringing a friend to bring me a spare wheel or ring RAC.

either way it will be sorted.

yippeekiay said:
I've come to the conclusion that your fuel gage is shot....lol

Poss- it goes down very quick- but it doesn't raise back up as quick.

The Puma is light at the rear already without the removal of the spare wheel and it's carrier, make sure you don't brake mid-corner when you don't have it as it definately feels lighter!

Had the back snap round on me a few times.

Re: no spare tyre.
My hubby's Renault top off doesn't have a spare wheel. Just a mini tool kit and 2 bottles of tyre weld. We had a puncture a few months ago and found that the tyre weld did nothing to pump the tyre up again although it did seal the leak. #

We now carry a foot pump in the boot along with extra tyre weld cans - as a precaution.

Weight reduction is a good idea and over the 12 months you'll definitely see some benefit. I agree that keeping the tyre pressures at the right level and keeping on top of the servicing helps a lot too.

v0y4ger said:
We had a puncture a few months ago and found that the tyre weld did nothing to pump the tyre up again although it did seal the leak.

Thats the whole point. Its not designed to inflate the tyre, just temporarily seal the leak. You have to inflate the tyre yourself after.

In my opinion i really dont see the point in removing the spare wheel, especially if its a road car. Its hardly going to make a significant reduction to weight. If its an all-out track car, then of course i see the point. And to reiterate the point already made. 99% of companies like AA/RAC/Green Flag will NOT cover you for a flat tyre.

Scotty1.7 said:
Flas- Was there ever the option to get the alloy spare?
i had a spare 9 spoke alloy but got it off ebay for £10 just incase of a blow out not having to use that horrible normal spare wheel i never got chance to use it though because 3 weeks later i fitted 17 inch alloys and sold the five 9 spoke for £150

haGGard said:
v0y4ger said:
We had a puncture a few months ago and found that the tyre weld did nothing to pump the tyre up again although it did seal the leak.

Thats the whole point. Its not designed to inflate the tyre, just temporarily seal the leak. You have to inflate the tyre yourself after.

In my opinion i really dont see the point in removing the spare wheel, especially if its a road car. Its hardly going to make a significant reduction to weight. If its an all-out track car, then of course i see the point. And to reiterate the point already made. 99% of companies like AA/RAC/Green Flag will NOT cover you for a flat tyre.
i really dont see the point in removing your spare wheel either and waiting for aa/rac to come change a tyre but i suppose if your paying them why not

ps....always keep your locking nut key in the glove box nothing worse than getting a flat and not being able to remove it

I was considering removing the spare.
I generally only do short runs due to work being only 10miles away.
I took almost everything out of my old Skoda, including the spare. Estimated that I got it down about 920/930kg. I was getting >55mpg if I drove well, and that was with a bit of stop/start urban driving.

It got tail-happy, too, as there was no weight at the back at all.
Want to save weight? Don't carry more fuel than you need.
I seldom put more than 10 litres / 2 gallons in at a time. A tank-full of fuel must weigh at least 40kg (Petrol being less dense than water)

My concern about the carrier being removed is that it opens up a huge "wind trap" where the spare used to be, and that'll generate drag when on the move, so offsetting some of the efficiency gain from losing the weight.
The design of the carrier is significant. A simple cage would've sufficed, but the flat(ish) plate helps cut drag as well as keeping the spare clean.

That said, I reckon the weight of carrier+wheel/tyre, jack and wheel brace must be about 25kg all in... Pity it's all in the back of the vehicle.

Perhaps a lightweight cover over the "spare space" might avoid the drag issue? It could be fabricated from Aluminium, and use the existing carrier lugs and retaining bolt from the original spare carrier...

Still, enough brainstorming for now!!

you need one of these :lol:

322322_10151145732220730_1614866282_o.jpg

Or unless you are going round a circuit or doing extremely high mileage at high speed, stop worrying about it :grin:

Finally got around to it.
Spare, Jack/brace/towing eye now in shed.
The carrier (or mine, anyway) won't come out unless you can get the car up on (high) ramps, over a wide pit, or up on a lift.
the hooks that go into the chassis eyes are curved in such a way as to mean you'd have to lower it past vertical (beneath the car) to get it out. I guess it's 20"+ long, so the car will have to be quite high.
They don't need any tools to remove. It'd come out in 30 seconds.

Not so the wheel carrier comes out with the car jacked up a little,you unhook one side first and then give the other side a twist and wiggle and out it comes. Its just made in such a way so that it cant rattle its way off the car and leave the spare on the road. :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back