Bad earths?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimSaunders

Please tell me there are commonly poor earths for the below list.

1) Heated front screen - When I hit the switch the revs pick up a touch and the lights dim a little

2) Low fuel light - I've run the car to empty and had no light come on at all

3) Door open courtesy light circuit - The dome light doesn't come on when the passenger door is opened, the switch, screw, wiring and earth are all fine on that side. Pressing in the switch on the driver's door doesn't shut off the dome light or the dash warning light, but closing the door does..... is there something I'm missing?

Realistically none of these are major issues, but I'd like to fix everything before I begin the potentially long journey up the road of modifying the electronics.

The door ajar sensor is actually in the door latch itself, when the switch goes sticky you have to dismantle the door and remove the glass etc to get the latch assembly out... it's a 3 hr labour job..

it looks like this..

qsCc6m.jpg

Chris

The door switch is a long job as Chris says and you can't test it without taking the door apart really.

The heated screen does pull quite a lot of current so maybe this is why it dims.

my S reg puma :) a 98 little one does switch the dome light from the door pin in front of the door on the body... door ajar warning light is always on :)) so that is in the mechanism...

Thanks guys, believe it or not I haven't ever had a heated screen until now so genuinely had no clue. Your replies have cemented that it's not an issue.

As for the dome light switch on the passenger door, I guess I'll have to just go back over the earth and follow the wiring like the good old days.

As for the fuel light, has anyone actually managed to work it out? I've seen many a thread here and elsewhere about it, but nobody seems to have a solution.

Back