Ball Joint replacement question..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trublustu

Hi all,

I have acquired a pair of double skinned wishbones for my track car.
They are getting FRP rear bushes, Powerflex Black front bushes and new balljoints.

The original balljoint is rivetted in, the replacement comes with bolts.
Does anyone know what kind of torque I need to be tightening the bolts to on replacement balljoints?

Thanks in advance, Stu..

You should get instructions with the ball joint, showing you how to remove the old ball joint and what torque to tighten the new ball joint.

Hi,

if I remember correctly I had somewhere read about 20-25Nm. To be honest I did mine at least 30Nm and never had a problem. But as Barry says the quality usually is rubbish. One of mine is knackered after about 1,5 years. Unfortunately Ford doesn't supply ball joints they sell the whole wishbone. One solution might be the rose joints that Lightning motorsport provides. (I would like to test them myself but I have not find the chance).

When you say "double skinned" is it something different to Ford OEM ones?

Alex

siju said:
Hi,
Unfortunately Ford doesn't supply ball joints they sell the whole wishbone.
Alex
:? My local Ford dealer quoted be about £50 a side for replacement ball joints :?
Paul

I have been running Febi Bilstein bolt-on ball joints (Part Number 18062) since the beginning of 2010, without any problems.
http://cars.febi-parts.com/catalogs/?lang=GB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

748 said:
siju said:
Hi,
Unfortunately Ford doesn't supply ball joints they sell the whole wishbone.
Alex
:? My local Ford dealer quoted be about £50 a side for replacement ball joints :?
Paul

Sorry for the mis-information. I always thought that ford sold only the whole wishbone. :?

Alex

Yeah, but I can't see the point in buying separate ball joints from Ford, May as well get the complete wishbone with new bushes as well. Unless it's for a job like Stu's, or for the FRP.
Paul

I always though Ford only supplied complete wishbones.
Though I`ve never asked tham!!

The double skinned wishbones are Genuine Ford and were only fitted toi the earliest Pumas.
Here they are..

They look much stronger but are about 1.5 kilos heavier than the later (usual) wishbones.

As the removal of the old, worn, ball joints was taking forever (lots of grinding) i opted to use my regular (ford) ones as the bj`s were already replacements (time has been my enemy on the car recently)

All up for inspection on the stand at Fordfair on Sunday (on track too)
Now I better get off my butt, to finish last couple of jobs...

Back