Battery output

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodywoodwarden

I started the car in test mode and toggled to the battery power reading. It was at 14 volts.

I went for a drive and it stayed at 14 volts for most of the journey but then suddenly jumped to 17 volts every so often. When it did this then the ABS and tractions lights came on and the dials all swept to max and then to min.

Any suggestions as to what this might be? Faulty battery, alternator or alternator regulator perhaps?

Could it be the alternator regulator thingy. Excuse my lack of knowledge but isn't there some sort of sensor that sits with the alternator that can be replaced individually?

Haynes says "5.7 - if the regulated voltage is not as stated, the fault may be due to worn brushes, weak brush springs, a faulty voltage regulator, a faulty diode, a severed phase winding or worn/damaged slip rings. The alternator should be renewed or taken for testing and repair"

The voltage regulator is integral and can't be renewed separately...

Thanks for that reply. I obviously looked in the wrong place in the manual as I couldn't find anything relevant.

thanks again

Back