bent rear axle

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siju

Hello,

I took the car for alignment and found out that the rear axle is bent (the left wheel has lots of toe-in) which is pretty strange as I have not crashed the car.

Anyway I look for a rear axle. My puma has the eye mount. How I can tell by looking only the axle whether it is eye or fork type (I know that the change was made in 2000 but I have found a 2000 axle and don't know what it is).

The other problem is that in Greece there are a lot of Mk4/Mk5 fiestas but few pumas. So it's easier to find a fiesta axle. But I think that the puma rear axle is strengthened in relation to fiesta and I don't want to mess up the handling. Can anyone confirm if there are really any difference between them or is it just ford marketing BS?

The change (fork to eye) was made between 1998 / 1999.

I have a 1999 T plated Puma and mine is eye type suspension, yet I used to have a late 1998 T plated Puma which was fork type suspension.

The easiest way to tell - however it relies on the car not being modified - is whether it has spacers behind the rear hubs. Eye type axles DO NOT have them fitted as standard.

Thanks for the replies. I took the car to a workshop and it seems that the wheel bearing is on its last legs and causes the wrong wheel alignment. The beam seems OK.

So it is a chance to put on my focus rear disc conversion!

Alex

Hi Barry,

yeah I have seen both your guide and the one that Sinisa wrote. I'll give it a go and see what the results will be!

Alex

Latest posts

Back