Boot gas struts

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilipalmer

Hi.
I've read in this forum that you can replace the Puma's gas struts for the ones of a Fiesta. My 1st question is which Fiesta is it exactly? The Mk4 or the Mk5? Often I hear people referring to the IV facelift as the mk5...So is this the one or the "proper" MK5?
Also, I noticed that the size of the struts is not the same? Won't this be a problem?

Thanks

They will fit just fine, but the springing force of them is much higher. Also, the fiesta gust struts don't have the grounding connection on the RHS gas strut. So replace just the left one, and leave the right one in place. The new fiesta gas strut alone will be strong enough to lift the entire tailgate with the old right one in place

They will fit just fine, but the springing force of them is much higher. Also, the fiesta gust struts don't have the grounding connection on the RHS gas strut. So replace just the left one, and leave the right one in place. The new fiesta gas strut alone will be strong enough to lift the entire tailgate with the old right one in place
Hi.
I just inherited a Puma Millenium, and sat in the boot there were two new struts still in the packaging. The fitted struts were too weak to lift the boot, so I replaced them - simple enough, and now the boot lifts fine.
BUT, my RHS strut did not have a ground connection even before I replaced it. So, I'm wondering whether all models have it, what what its purpose is, and what is the consequence of not having it.
Can anybody tell me this?
I have also noticed a stray electrical connector inside the boot lining, so perhaps that is the wire that should connect to the strut.
Can anyone supply a photo?

thanks

Kevin

The ground connection on the RHS strut is there for models with the additional high level brake light on the tailgate.Earlier models did not have this.

The ground connection on the RHS strut is there for models with the additional high level brake light on the tailgate.Earlier models did not have this.
Well that would explain it. Thanks.
And on closer inspection I figured out that the stray wire in the boot was actually for an internal boot lamp :)
It had just been routed wrongly and left dangling. Now to find a bulb for it...

As said previously the boot strut on the offside is on the models with the 3rd. Brake light, carries the electric feed. Some aftermarket struts do not have the electrical continuity.
I used a 48 Led for the boot light, fairly cheap on eBay and gives plenty of light.

Attachments

• IMG_20230927_085307416_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230927_085307416_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230927_085251779_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230927_085251779_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230927_090619145.jpg
    IMG_20230927_090619145.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back